Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Colt099  
#1 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2016 10:01:35 AM(UTC)
Colt099

Groups: Registered

I have a Kenmore dryer (Model # 110.C87567701) that is manufactured by Whirlpool. Due to a loud screeching noise, it was recommended to change the idler pulley. I purchased the replacement part (Part # 279640) from Sears. When I removed the old pulley from the dryer, it looks a little different than the new one. The old one is slightly thicker, so it sits a little more snug on the arm of the pulley shaft. Also, the diameter of the new pulley is a little bigger and it has a tiny ridge around the exterior. The part numbers are exactly the same, but before I complete the repair, I want to make sure I won't do more damage to the dryer. Did Whirlpool simply modify the part to improve its design. Is it correct to use this part? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.
Colt099 attached the following image(s):
IMG_6938.JPG
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

thorning  
#2 Posted : Sunday, February 7, 2016 4:33:33 PM(UTC)
thorning

Originally Posted by: Colt099 Go to Quoted Post
I have a Kenmore dryer (Model # 110.C87567701) that is manufactured by Whirlpool. Due to a loud screeching noise, it was recommended to change the idler pulley. I purchased the replacement part (Part # 279640) from Sears. When I removed the old pulley from the dryer, it looks a little different than the new one. The old one is slightly thicker, so it sits a little more snug on the arm of the pulley shaft. Also, the diameter of the new pulley is a little bigger and it has a tiny ridge around the exterior. The part numbers are exactly the same, but before I complete the repair, I want to make sure I won't do more damage to the dryer. Did Whirlpool simply modify the part to improve its design. Is it correct to use this part? Any help would be appreciated. Thank you.

I am surprised that the diameter is slightly different under the same p/n The diameter is not so important as the width and being able to turn freely. On some dryers the clearance of the idler is kind of tight when all of the parts are in place and the belt is under tension. Another area to look at is not the belt but rather the support bearings at the rear and both front glides (if used) to see if they are worn or sloppy. Wear of the front bearings or glides will allow the drum to rub on the blower housing causing a screeching sound.
Colt099  
#3 Posted : Monday, February 8, 2016 9:04:01 AM(UTC)
Colt099

Thanks for the reply. Reluctantly, I decided to proceed with the repair using the new pulley. Before doing this I noticed two things that provided some comfort: (1) While the overall diameter of the new pulley is larger, the actual diameter where the belt sits on the pulley looks to be the same on both parts - the sides of the new part extend up over this section; (2) the old pulley is slightly wider - i.e., it has more depth when sitting on the arm of the pulley shaft. However, the new pulley does have a ridge on either side that makes the total width the same. It also appears to be a better fit for the belt on this dryer (the width of the old pulley was larger than the belt). As a result, I wondered if this is simply a redesign of the part aimed at preventing the belt from slipping off the pulley.

I double checked the part with Sears, and after they confirmed it was correct, I proceeded to install the new pulley. The dryer was used for about 4 hours after the repair and there have been no issues. I even removed the bottom plate of the dryer and watched the belt rotate on the new pulley and it seems to function normally. No slipping at all, which is what was happening with the old pulley. Also, all screeching sounds have stopped.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply