Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ras1960  
#1 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 10:16:49 AM(UTC)
ras1960

Groups: Registered

Need help. I replaced the timer "Pull to Start" on the subject model as it was beginning to become unreliable with the pull function. Pull to start function is now working well but the timer doesn't advance so the dryer just continually runs and does not shut off. I have cleaned the sensor bars in the drums, the three light dryness sensor card may or may not be working correctly as it seems to stay on DAMP. I thought first my problem was the Sensor Assembly a $30 part. But it appears from my research the Sensor Assembly (Series 10) for my model and serial # 19727281CJ has been discontinued. The Sensor Assembly for (Series 20) are available but they appear to have a different connection for the wiring harness and may have the lights from the dryness sensor card built into it.

Any help would be appreciated. (1) Do you think I should replace the dryness sensor card first? I see from one website that it "helps" with the timer advance problem. My research also showed the Sensor Assembly definitely is associated with the timer advance problem but the model for my serial # seem to no longer exist (2) Can any tell me if the Sensor Assembly for a 20 Series dryer would work on my model with serial # 19727281CJ?
(3) Does anyone know of a "hidden" source of discontinued parts?
Help please.
RSmith
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, January 2, 2016 12:29:12 PM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
You sort of lost me on the Sensor Assembly.
Do you mean the two metal strips?

This should be fairly easy to check.
Disconnect it from the sensor board.
Then measure across the strips using the highest scale on a meter.
It should be infinite ohms.
If it is then it is OK.
If not try cleaning it with isopropyl alcohol.

FYI: Just in case you do not know how it works.
One strip is connected to the sensor board which puts a low voltage on it.
The other side is connected to ground.
When clothes are wet moisture collects between the strips.
This provides a circuit path to ground and the sensor board senses the current and holds the timer off.
When the clothes are dry (no moisture) then there is no current and the board advances the timer.

So if there is any type of residue between the strips the timer will not advance.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
ras1960  
#3 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2016 5:24:11 AM(UTC)
ras1960

Thank you for your quick response. On my model the Sensor Assembly sits just left of the timer then the chime on/off switch sits just left of that and then the Dryness Sensor Card sits to the left of that. I believe the wire your talking about runs between the Dryness Sensor Card and the Sensor Bar that is located in the drum. I cleaned the Sensor bar as you mentioned. I did not disconnect the sensor bar and check with a meter yet. I would describe the sensor assembly as a circuit card and it has a black circular item on it. I believe on my unit it actually includes the "chime". I've seen it called a couple different things on-line. This may be for naught; I contacted the supplier that I bought the timer from and it maybe that I bought the wrong timer for my serial #. I have a new one on the way; if we are correct it should allow the unit to advance through the cycles. We shall see. I'll update later this week. Again thank you for your quick response.
R. Smith
denman  
#4 Posted : Sunday, January 3, 2016 5:59:03 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Just for semantics.
Sensor Assembly: This is the chime and not actually a sensor
Dryness Sensor Card: This is the board that interpret the current through the sensor
Sensor Bar: This is the actual sensor.

See the attachment for more info. On this unit the sensor board and the chime have been replaced with one unit so it can get confusing.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
ras1960  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 6, 2016 3:56:17 AM(UTC)
ras1960

FYI. I received my new Timer today and swapped it out. Problem solved; everything is working correctly.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply