Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jjeep80  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, December 1, 2015 12:21:04 PM(UTC)
jjeep80

Groups: Registered

I am trying to diagnose and fix a dryer that we have at my physical therapy ************. When you turn the start knob, the motor will hum but the drum doesn't turn. I have torn it all down and tested all of the components. I am not getting resistance at the motor connection and I can see that there is a spring loaded brake that has engaged the spindle gear on the shaft going into the blower fan. On the parts page, I see a bad exploded diagram showing a "lock or brake" sitting on the front of the motor. Can this be bad without the motor going bad? Or, does that all come as one piece that needs to be replace as a unit? Thanks in advance
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, December 2, 2015 2:15:06 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Frigidaire FEQ332ES0 Dryer - AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for a copt of the wiring diagram

I am not sure whatyou aare calling a brake as I have never seen a dryer motor with one.

If you mean the switch assembly, this is a centrifugal switch. The centrifugal mechanism closes the switches when the unit gets close to operating speed.

One of them completes the heater circuit. This ensures that the heat only comes on after there is air flow.

The other switch does two things.
It provides a parallel circuit path around the start switch. This lets you release the start switch and the unit keeps running.
It also disconnects the motor's start winding. If left on this winding would overheat the motor. This may be the problem if the switches are always activated of this one is not opening then the motor will not start.

The motor must be replaced if a switch or the centrifugal mechanism is bad.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
jjeep80  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, December 2, 2015 3:25:17 PM(UTC)
jjeep80

Groups: Registered

Ok, that makes sense. I am trying to get the blower off the motor now. Should the fan and spindle spin freely when all disconnected?
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, December 3, 2015 1:08:38 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"] Should the fan and spindle spin freely when all disconnected?[/COLOR]
I am not sure what you mean.
The fan blade needs the motor attached to hold it in the center of the blower housing.
The motor armature should spin.

FYI: there is a video on replacing the blower that may help if yuo have not alreadt watched it.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply