Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
linktlife  
#1 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 1:59:11 PM(UTC)
linktlife

Groups: Registered

#1 I cannot figure out how to get inside the dryer to do any work or check connections. I believe it opens from the front somehow (sure hope so!) Help!! :(

#2 Dryer seems to be operating normally, but no heat. Checked the vent and it is clear and vacuumed out the lint collection area. I think it needs a new heating element, I changed one out before in my old dryer and that did the trick.

What next? :confused:
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 29, 2009 5:51:46 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
The first thing I would do is check the circuit breakers for the dryer and make sure there is 240 VAC at the dryer wall outlet. The heating element needs 240 VAC while the motor - just 120 VAC, and if one of the two legs is missing then the dryer would not heat.

Gene.
linktlife  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 9:19:03 AM(UTC)
linktlife

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
The first thing I would do is check the circuit breakers for the dryer and make sure there is 240 VAC at the dryer wall outlet. The heating element needs 240 VAC while the motor - just 120 VAC, and if one of the two legs is missing then the dryer would not heat.

Gene.

Well, resetting the breakers made no difference. How do I open the dryer to replace the heating element?
Gene  
#4 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 2:42:16 PM(UTC)
Gene

Do not rush with the parts. You have to have a simple multimeter to perform the diagnosis and find out which part is really bad and the first thing you should do is verify if there is 240 VAC at the wall outlet for the dryer.

In order to disassemble the dryer:

1. Pull out and remove the lint screen.
2. While lifting the front corners of the cabinet top, press a putty knife against the left and right top clips, and release them from the top. Rotate the cabinet top up and rest it against a wall.
3. Disconnect the door switch connector from the harness connector.
4. Remove the left and right screws from the inside of the cabinet front.
5. Pull the cabinet front forward slightly, lift and unhook it from the two bottom hangers, and remove the front.
6. Reach under the drum to the drive motor and push the idler wheel arm to
relieve the spring tension on the belt, then slide the belt off the motor pulley.
7. Lift the drum and remove it with the belt from the dryer

You have to check for continuity all thermostats in the heating circuit in accordance with the wiring diagram, and the heating element.

Gene.
linktlife  
#5 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 4:28:05 PM(UTC)
linktlife

Do not rush with the parts. You have to have a simple multimeter to perform the diagnosis and find out which part is really bad and the first thing you should do is verify if there is 240 VAC at the wall outlet for the dryer.

In order to disassemble the dryer:

1. Pull out and remove the lint screen.
2. While lifting the front corners of the cabinet top, press a putty knife against the left and right top clips, and release them from the top. Rotate the cabinet top up and rest it against a wall.
3. Disconnect the door switch connector from the harness connector.
4. Remove the left and right screws from the inside of the cabinet front.
5. Pull the cabinet front forward slightly, lift and unhook it from the two bottom hangers, and remove the front.
6. Reach under the drum to the drive motor and push the idler wheel arm to
relieve the spring tension on the belt, then slide the belt off the motor pulley.
7. Lift the drum and remove it with the belt from the dryer

You have to check for continuity all thermostats in the heating circuit in accordance with the wiring diagram, and the heating element.

Gene.

Thanks Gene ... its quite a bit more complicated to get into than my old dryer where the back just popped off. LOL

As for 240 VAC I assume it is there since the dryer has been installed and operating in the same place for 9 yrs. Guess I'll have to go to the hardware store and get a multimeter and work through the wiring diagram.

Linda
Gene  
#6 Posted : Monday, November 2, 2009 5:33:50 PM(UTC)
Gene

Quote:
...As for 240 VAC I assume it is there since the dryer has been installed and operating in the same place for 9 yrs...

Linda,

If it was good 9 years ago it does not mean it's good today. Nothing last forever.

Gene.
linktlife  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2009 7:05:48 AM(UTC)
linktlife

Linda,

If it was good 9 years ago it does not mean it's good today. Nothing last forever.

Gene.

Once we had unit open, we could see a break in heating element coil. Replaced the heating element and thermostat and we are back in business. Thanks so much
Gene.
Gene  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, November 3, 2009 3:07:53 PM(UTC)
Gene

Linda,

I'm glad you were able to fix it. Good luck with your dryer.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply