Appliance Repair Forum

Appliance Repair Forum (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/)
-   Dryer Repair (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/dryer-repair/)
-   -   Maytag Performa Electric Dryer No Heat (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/dryer-repair/56254-maytag-performa-electric-dryer-no-heat.html)

linktlife 10-29-2009 02:59 PM

Maytag Performa Electric Dryer No Heat
 
#1 I cannot figure out how to get inside the dryer to do any work or check connections. I believe it opens from the front somehow (sure hope so!) Help!! :(

#2 Dryer seems to be operating normally, but no heat. Checked the vent and it is clear and vacuumed out the lint collection area. I think it needs a new heating element, I changed one out before in my old dryer and that did the trick.

What next? :confused:

Gene 10-29-2009 06:51 PM

The first thing I would do is check the circuit breakers for the dryer and make sure there is 240 VAC at the dryer wall outlet. The heating element needs 240 VAC while the motor - just 120 VAC, and if one of the two legs is missing then the dryer would not heat.

Gene.

linktlife 11-02-2009 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene (Post 143993)
The first thing I would do is check the circuit breakers for the dryer and make sure there is 240 VAC at the dryer wall outlet. The heating element needs 240 VAC while the motor - just 120 VAC, and if one of the two legs is missing then the dryer would not heat.

Gene.

Well, resetting the breakers made no difference. How do I open the dryer to replace the heating element?

Gene 11-02-2009 03:42 PM

Do not rush with the parts. You have to have a simple multimeter to perform the diagnosis and find out which part is really bad and the first thing you should do is verify if there is 240 VAC at the wall outlet for the dryer.

In order to disassemble the dryer:

1. Pull out and remove the lint screen.
2. While lifting the front corners of the cabinet top, press a putty knife against the left and right top clips, and release them from the top. Rotate the cabinet top up and rest it against a wall.
3. Disconnect the door switch connector from the harness connector.
4. Remove the left and right screws from the inside of the cabinet front.
5. Pull the cabinet front forward slightly, lift and unhook it from the two bottom hangers, and remove the front.
6. Reach under the drum to the drive motor and push the idler wheel arm to
relieve the spring tension on the belt, then slide the belt off the motor pulley.
7. Lift the drum and remove it with the belt from the dryer

You have to check for continuity all thermostats in the heating circuit in accordance with the wiring diagram, and the heating element.

Gene.

linktlife 11-02-2009 05:28 PM

Continuity
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene (Post 145075)
Do not rush with the parts. You have to have a simple multimeter to perform the diagnosis and find out which part is really bad and the first thing you should do is verify if there is 240 VAC at the wall outlet for the dryer.

In order to disassemble the dryer:

1. Pull out and remove the lint screen.
2. While lifting the front corners of the cabinet top, press a putty knife against the left and right top clips, and release them from the top. Rotate the cabinet top up and rest it against a wall.
3. Disconnect the door switch connector from the harness connector.
4. Remove the left and right screws from the inside of the cabinet front.
5. Pull the cabinet front forward slightly, lift and unhook it from the two bottom hangers, and remove the front.
6. Reach under the drum to the drive motor and push the idler wheel arm to
relieve the spring tension on the belt, then slide the belt off the motor pulley.
7. Lift the drum and remove it with the belt from the dryer

You have to check for continuity all thermostats in the heating circuit in accordance with the wiring diagram, and the heating element.

Gene.

Thanks Gene ... its quite a bit more complicated to get into than my old dryer where the back just popped off. LOL

As for 240 VAC I assume it is there since the dryer has been installed and operating in the same place for 9 yrs. Guess I'll have to go to the hardware store and get a multimeter and work through the wiring diagram.

Linda

Gene 11-02-2009 06:33 PM

Quote:

...As for 240 VAC I assume it is there since the dryer has been installed and operating in the same place for 9 yrs...
Linda,

If it was good 9 years ago it does not mean it's good today. Nothing last forever.

Gene.

linktlife 11-03-2009 08:05 AM

Broken element
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gene (Post 145150)
Linda,

If it was good 9 years ago it does not mean it's good today. Nothing last forever.

Gene.

Once we had unit open, we could see a break in heating element coil. Replaced the heating element and thermostat and we are back in business. Thanks so much
Gene.

Gene 11-03-2009 04:07 PM

Linda,

I'm glad you were able to fix it. Good luck with your dryer.

Gene.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 06:46 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17