Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
CVilla  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2015 9:30:28 AM(UTC)
CVilla

Groups: Registered

Kenmore Elite dryer intermittently stops running.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

CVilla  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2015 9:36:32 AM(UTC)
CVilla

I can't seem to post more than a little bit at a time on here... For about a year now, my dryer randomly stops running. At first it was a few times a month, and progressively got worse. Now it shuts off 90% of the time.

It doesn't always shut off right away. Sometimes it runs for 5 to 10 minutes. This seems to be random as well. Today it would shut off immediately after releasing the start button. On the fourth or fifth attempt it ran for about 5 minutes. It's been running for about 10 minutes now, and still going.
denman  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 7, 2015 11:08:09 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I am afraid that I cannot be very helpful since the fault is intermittent.

I can at least give you the tech sheet and perhaps some troubleshooting.

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

When it cuts out can you restart it right away or do you have to wait several minutes before it will restart.
If you have to wait then it could be that the motor is overheating. It's internal thermal protect opens and you have to wait for the motor to cool down and the protect to reset before it will restart.

Sounds more like there is a loose connection somewhere in the motor circuit.

I would start by unplugging the unit and checking the connections at the terminal strip.
If OK
Try swapping the heat and the motor relays. I think they are the same but double check this.

Perhaps try different cycle types just in case it is a bad spot on a set of timer contacts.

Have you tried running it with no clothes in it? Sometimes the door switch is just on the edge of closing so if the door gets pushed out a bit by the clothes it shuts the unit off.

With a little luck someone else ill jump in with better info for you.
File Attachment(s):
63952102.pdf (321kb) downloaded 22 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
CVilla  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2015 7:52:13 AM(UTC)
CVilla

When it cuts out, I usually can't just push start again to get it going. The dryer shuts off as soon as I release the button. To "reset" it, I have to rotate the timer past the off position and start over. Does that sound like a problem with the timer? I have the same problem whether I'm on timed dry, or moisture sensing.
CVilla  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2015 7:53:48 AM(UTC)
CVilla

Since the dryer stays running while holding down the start button, do you still think the door switch may be a problem?
denman  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, July 8, 2015 8:22:51 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]When it cuts out, I usually can't just push start again to get it going. The dryer shuts off as soon as I release the button. To "reset" it, I have to rotate the timer past the off position and start over. Does that sound like a problem with the timer? I have the same problem whether I'm on timed dry, or moisture sensing.[/COLOR]
It sounds more like a control board problem re: the board is not holding the motor relay closed. Going past off on the timer is probably resetting the board. But this is just the more likely of the two options.

[COLOR="Blue"]Since the dryer stays running while holding down the start button, do you still think the door switch may be a problem?[/COLOR]
No. If the door switch was open the unit would stop regardless of you holding the stat switch closed.
CVilla  
#7 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2015 1:33:46 AM(UTC)
CVilla

Finally got a multimeter, and it looks like the fabric care temperature switch may be the problem. One of the pins has no connectivity. I'm going to try replacing that and see what happens. Thanks for your help!
fairbank56  
#8 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2015 5:06:52 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
A faulty temp switch would not cause the dryer to shut off.

Eric
CVilla  
#9 Posted : Sunday, July 12, 2015 8:42:45 PM(UTC)
CVilla

I'm not sure where to go from here then. Everything else seems to be working correctly. If it's something like the control board going out, I'd probably just scrap the dryer and get a new one. It costs more than the dryer is worth.
denman  
#10 Posted : Tuesday, July 14, 2015 2:35:04 AM(UTC)
denman

If everything else checks out OK then all that is left is the control board.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply