Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
MrChip  
#1 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 6:47:48 AM(UTC)
MrChip

Groups: Registered
Man
United States

Hello, I have a Maytag Dryer model LDG8420AAW. I was using it today and in the middle of a load I noticed a change in the sound - the drum was no longer spinning. I tried stopping/starting it a few times, but the drum won't spin anymore. Is this simply a case of the drive belt going bad? Or could it be something else?

If it is the drive belt, it looks like I need part AP4290988. Is this correct and are there any other parts I would need?

Finally, the video provided is for a different type of dryer with a lint trap on the top. Is there a video for a dryer like mine that has a lint trap built into the front panel by the door?

I have never repaired an appliance before and would like as much help with this as possible.

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, June 26, 2015 11:05:02 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

To check if you are right on your diagnoses open the small access panel at the back of the dryer. You should be able to see the belt, the idler pulley and the motor. At this point unplug the dryer, do not attempt to work on it when it's powered up.
To replace the belt:
-remove the two phillips screws at the bottom (one in each corner) of the front panel, pull the bottom towards you and disengage top clips.
-next remove four 5/16 screws holding the front tumbler panel (don't take out the wrong screws there are more then four) and swing the panel to the left and secure it. This way you don't have to disconnect the wires.
-belt goes in with groves up (outside), align it on the drum over the old mark, make sure it's not falling into the grove on the drum behind the mark!
-use the rear access opening to install the belt, wrap it around the motor pulley and then over the idler pulley (large white pulley).
After you done with that, slowly turn the drum for a couple of turns to make sure it stays where it suppose to be. Check the idler pulley and make sure the blower wheel in front is not loose on the motor shaft, replace it if it's loose.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and parts list for you dryer

Model LDG8420AAW

Your belt Part number: AP4290988
Part number: AP4290988

Your idler pulley Part number: AP4372890
Part number: AP4372890

Your blower wheel Part number: AP4294048
Part number: AP4294048

The wheel is held by the clip, pull the clip off and slide the blower off. Brake it if it wont cooperate.
Sorry for the wrong videos, they are being redone.

Good luck. Please, keep us posted with the results.

Thank you,

Simon.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply