Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
KatieMB  
#1 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 6:10:16 PM(UTC)
KatieMB

Groups: Registered

I need dryer help, obviously :( Our dryer stopped working last week, the knob wouldn't turn. I figured it was the timer, since it was stuck, so I replaced it. Now, it'll run for 10-20 min and shut off. I'm googling and coming up with the thermal fuse. can someone give me an indication if I'm on the right track? I contacted a handyman, but at $75 for the repair of the timer (which took this novice 5 min) I just can't sink a few hundred into it, seems silly. THank you for any help!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 6:35:24 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
GE doesn't use thermal fuses in their dryers. Could be overheating which may cause the hi limit thermostat to open which will kill power to the motor. It may also be that the motor is overheating and it's internal thermal overload is tripping. If the dryer is overheating, this can be caused by an air flow problem due to excessive lint buildup in the internal and/or external ducting or possibly a grounded heating element. If it's not excessive lint buildup in the ducting, electrical troubleshooting is going to be required to find the culprit, otherwise, you can just parts swap til it's fixed.

Eric
KatieMB  
#3 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 6:38:04 PM(UTC)
KatieMB

Groups: Registered

Ok, I will check for any lint blockages in the dryer, thank you.

If it still continues, what would you start with to troubleshoot?
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Saturday, April 18, 2015 6:55:46 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
I would check the air temperature at the dryer exhaust. Should not exceed 140 degrees. If the dryer is not overheating, there are several things that can cause the motor to shut off including a faulty timer, hi limit thermostat, belt switch, motor, door switch or faulty wiring. I cannot explain to a layman over an internet forum how to perform electrical troubleshooting techniques.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply