Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JGrills  
#1 Posted : Friday, March 6, 2015 12:15:52 PM(UTC)
JGrills

Groups: Registered

I have done the google search on this subject and been thru round one of part replacement, to no avail. Unit is Maytag/Whirpool 240v electric dryer. I replaced the cycling thermostat, the limiting thermostat and the fused link. There was a ton of lint in the exhaust path. I cleaned it out, but did not even think to clean out the metal tube that runs on the bottom of the unit to the rear vent outlet...tomorrow...the flex tube to the wall outlet is also clear.
Works fine on timed cycle, timer dial moves fine, clothes dry, so that's good. On Auto-Dry, the timer dial never moves and the unit will not shut off. Same result in Regular and PermPress auto modes. They sure don't make'm like they used to.

What next?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Friday, March 6, 2015 3:04:35 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Probably related to the restricted air flow. The operating thermostat is a two position switch. In one position, power is supplied to the heat coil. When the air temp reaches the set point of the thermostat, it changes over to the other position which removes power from the heat element and applies power to the timer motor, thus the timer only advances in auto mode when the operating thermostat cycles the heat off as it normally should. The operating thermostat is located on the blower housing. With insufficient air flow, it never gets hot enough in the blower housing to cycle the thermostat. If you do determine that in fact the thermostat is cycling the heat element off, then I would check continuity of the orange wire that runs from the thermostat to the timer. In timed dry cycle, power is applied continuously to the timer motor via an internal timer contact.

Eric
JGrills  
#3 Posted : Saturday, March 7, 2015 8:14:29 AM(UTC)
JGrills

So, it runs on temperature differential. Got it. No restriction in the path, all cleaned. My idler pulley bearing was toast. I'm amazed the belt even stayed on, never mind turning the drum. As a consequence of this, my front felt seal on the drum was sheared off (off-axis drum) and became part of the lint mess I cleaned up. I just noticed this. So...poor air seal on the drum could be the culprit for the lack of temperature differential...air is leaking into the frame and not flowing past the cycling t-stat. That also explains all the freakin lint inside the housing...new felt seal on the way.
JGrills  
#4 Posted : Saturday, March 7, 2015 8:36:44 AM(UTC)
JGrills

I lived in Fairbanks from 1992-1994. I miss the summers there ;)
JGrills  
#5 Posted : Monday, March 9, 2015 11:40:44 AM(UTC)
JGrills

New felt seal in on the front. That did the trick! So, due to the large leak (the front felt seal was completely gone), the cycling thermostat never did get up to temp and the dryer just keep going. Isn't troubleshooting fun? Anyone need the 2 sensors and fuse-able link for this dryer? I now have a spare set! All due to a disintegrated idler pulley and sheer laziness letting it run that way for so long. It's nice and quiet, all clean, and totally rebuilt. Wifey will be so proud ;)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply