Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
sfhutchi  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 28, 2015 1:57:08 PM(UTC)
sfhutchi

Groups: Registered

Need some advice...

Maytag Dryer blew thermal fuse. Replaced the thermal fuse and found that the unit continues to overheat.
Replaced thermal cutoff and hi-limit thermostat. After doing this, I watched the heating element cycle on and off. So it seems that the cutoff is functioning, but the element still cycles no matter what mode I am in. Even 'Air Dry' will cycle the element and eventually overheat if I let it. I disconnected the terminals to the heating element. Element reads about 11 ohms. Checked possible continuity from each terminal to the casing and ground. Both are open.
I have not changed the thermistor. This reads about 15k ohms.

Before I ordered more parts, what should I do next? Could the thermistor cause this? I am thinking no because wouldn't this reading be irrelevant in 'air dry' mode? Is there a common issue on the control board that could cause this? Maybe a stuck relay? I don't 'see' any obvious issues on the control board, but is there a specific relay that I could test?

*Blower is working fine, exhaust path is clear.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2015 4:53:09 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Could be a stuck relay. Unplug dryer and disconnect the two wires from the relay on the control board and check continuity across the relay terminals. Should be open. The thermal cutoff is not what cycles the heat. That's the function of the relay on the control board. If it's stuck closed or the control board is forcing it closed continuously, then your element is cycling due to the hi limit thermostat which is a safety device. There shouldn't be any heat during air only so looks like either the relay or the control board circuitry but either one requires replacement of the control board. If it is a stuck relay, it can be replaced if you have decent soldering skills.

Eric
sfhutchi  
#3 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2015 8:25:35 AM(UTC)
sfhutchi

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
Could be a stuck relay. Unplug dryer and disconnect the two wires from the relay on the control board and check continuity across the relay terminals. Should be open.........
Eric

Thanks so much for the message. This is what I was afraid was happening. I did look up the power relay and see that it could be ordered.

I am however having great difficulty in removing the two wires on the relay. Any tips to do this? They are not pulling off with a considerable amount of force. Of course, I am being careful not to put significant stress on the circuit board.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2015 9:49:33 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Wiggle the terminal from side to side a bit while pulling.

Eric
sfhutchi  
#5 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2015 10:00:34 AM(UTC)
sfhutchi

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
Wiggle the terminal from side to side a bit while pulling.
Eric

Thanks. I'll play with it a bit more. the connection seems to be the same as the very tight connections that were on the heating element. Luckily they were separate (not enclosed in a plastic housing) and I could gently use a screw driver to push them up.

I wasn't sure if there were any 'tricks of the trade' to make this easier. Maybe a special technique, a non-conductive/non-corrosive lubricant, etc. :)
sfhutchi  
#6 Posted : Sunday, March 1, 2015 12:33:38 PM(UTC)
sfhutchi

Ok... Got it removed.
Have confirmed that the Omron relay is stuck closed.
Thanks so much for the help.

Anyone know where I can purchase these relays (Gg8p-1a4tp)? I have the capability to replace it if I could get the part quickly. Found places online, but would take a week to receive.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply