Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Washington3  
#1 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 7:42:48 AM(UTC)
Washington3

Groups: Registered

Hello, my dryer won't operate after I push and let go of the start button. I purchased a motor and installed it with the wires in similar locations as the previous motor switch. I re-used the snap-on plastic assembly. However, the dryer is operating in the same dysfunctional manner. So I'm forced to read the wiring instructions. My dryer has a momentary switch to start. (Don't all dryer's?) So I'm reading Figure 5 on Instruction Sheet 279788 Rev. C 8/97 And I think I see a typographical error. Step 10 says to connect the purple (3M) wire lead onto the 1/8" terminal marked "3" on the motor switch. See Figure 5.

However, Figure 5 shows the purple wire connected to terminal "4".

My plastic wiring assembly agrees with Figure 5. (with only minor variations) So I believe everything is as it should be, but the dryer won't continue to run after pressing the button. Why?

I took a photograph prior to disassembly, so I have attached that photo, if that would help. (See attachment)

The minor variations in the wiring include the yellow (BK2) wire lead from the main harness. This wire does not go to the broken belt switch, as Figure 5 shows. But I suspect this to not be a problem. It is as it came from the store.
Washington3 attached the following image(s):
DSCN0739b.jpg
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 10:40:49 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
So, your saying the motor starts but won't stay running when you release the start switch? If that is the case, there is nothing wrong with the motor or it's wiring. Either the motor relay or the even heat control board is faulty, most likely the board.

Eric
Washington3  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 3:49:10 PM(UTC)
Washington3

I was guessing that the problem was the centrifugal switch in the motor. The motor contains a centrifugal switch that activates and keeps the motor running after the initial start. The switch is not sold separately; it comes attached to the motor. I bought a motor and switch package, commonly referred to as "the motor." I installed it correctly, as far as I can tell. But the problem is not solved.

You suggested that the heat control board might be faulty. Is that the circuit board found up top in the control panel? I did take that out and looked at it from both sides, but I could not see any brown, discolored area on the printed circuit board. Maybe I missed something?
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Friday, February 6, 2015 3:58:47 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The centrifugal switch is not there to keep the motor running after starting. The function of the switch is only to disconnect the start winding after the motor has started and to complete the heat circuit. The problem may be either the start relay which is activated by the control board or the control board itself. You can swap the two relays behind the control panel as a test. They are identical. One is for the motor, the other is for the heat circuit. If when you swap the relays, the motor still will not stay running, the control board is the most likely culprit. Yes, the control board is in the control panel. It is a very common failure item in these even heat models.

Eric
Washington3  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 7, 2015 11:25:54 AM(UTC)
Washington3

Success. I swapped the two relay switches and now the motor runs correctly. I've ordered a replacement switch. Thanks for the help. :) Whirlpool 3405281 Relay - AppliancePartsPros.com
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply