Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
starhawk  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 5:13:28 PM(UTC)
starhawk

Groups: Registered

Pardon me, I'm a newb, hope I don't screw anything up, lol.

Got the dryer at least 15 years ago, maybe closer to 20. It's a Whirlpool LET5624BQ0, which I've also entered into the post form. We actually brought this dryer with us when we moved here. (The whole story is a bit more complex than that, but it's also not relevant. Trust me.)

We've only ever had one issue with it, which was that the belt snapped (we replaced a worn drum roller at the time as well -- preventative maintenance, really). Now it's running intermittently... sort of...

It doesn't out-and-out shut off, but when I turn the knob and close the door, I can hear the timer running (skritchy skritchy skritchy) and it is now occasionally pausing when it wasn't before. It's more than just the timer, though -- the blower seems weak, since the hose doesn't jiggle like it used to, and occasionally it jerks as if I'd just turned the dryer on.

I pulled the control panel off the top, briefly, to check the wire connections -- at my father's suggestion, he's way more handy than I am, lol -- and they look brand spanking new. Seriously, they're shiny and bright.

I really don't know what to look at next. Hopefully it's nothing that involves moving the dryer, I don't think I'm that strong and I don't have a friend to help me...
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

starhawk  
#2 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2014 7:45:11 PM(UTC)
starhawk

Would be nice to get some help...

As a further clarification of the title -- when the dryer's timer motor and blower pause, the dryer's drum and (I assume) heating element do not, so it's not out-and-out shutting off randomly, it's running through the whole cycle -- but it's hitting the pause button briefly and occasionally as it does. When it reaches the end of the cycle, it shuts off just fine.
denman  
#3 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 2:46:27 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for Whirlpool LET5624BQ0 Dryer - AppliancePartsPros.com

Note that clicking on a part's description or picture will bring up a new page with more info about it. Often with a Q&A and sometimes a video that may be useful to you.

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

As a further clarification of the title -- when the dryer's timer motor and blower pause, the dryer's drum and (I assume) heating element do not,
The above is a bit confusing so I can only give info on certain things.

In timed dry the timer shpould run all the time.
In auto modes the timer only advances when the heating element is turned off.

As far as I know there is no pause on the unit.

The motor drives the belt from one end of it's armature and the blower wheel from the other.
So the only way that the drum can keep running and the blower stop is for the blower to be stripped. It is reverse threaded onto the motor shaft.
Check that it is OK.

Could be that you are interpreting the symptoms incorrectly.

Try the following.
I have a feeling that it may be a vent problem and the following will either confirm or eliminate this as the cause.

Unplug the unit and disconnect it from the vent system.
Now try a run.
If it now dries OK odds are the vent system needs checking/cleaning.
Be sure to check that the louvers on the outside of the house open correctly.

If you do not want any lint in the house.
Take a pair of pantyhose.
Put one leg into the other and then attach this to the dryer's vent.
Leave enough room so the pantyhose can balloon out like a windsock.

Both the above will let you check the temperature and the air flow.

Note: The above is not recommended for gas dryers due to carbon monoxide concerns.
File Attachment(s):
LET5624.pdf (63kb) downloaded 2 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
starhawk  
#4 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 8:23:14 AM(UTC)
starhawk

I apologize for not communicating clearly. Per original post, when I start the dryer I have a bit of a routine. I turn the timer knob, then shut the door, then check the lint trap, and then press the button to start the dryer.

While I am checking the lint trap (after closing the door but before starting the dryer), I can hear the timer motor going; it sounds a little like a mouse in the wall. During the most recent time I ran the dryer, I noticed that this particular sound stopped and restarted occasionally. This is during timed dry -- I always set it to 60min which is the longest numbered setting.

I can't move the dryer, I'm not that strong... and I've got nobody able-bodied to help me.

I didn't know that the blower motor and the drum motor were the same motor... silly assumption on my part. I know that the blower is cutting out occasionally, just like the timer, per observations in my first post...
denman  
#5 Posted : Saturday, November 1, 2014 3:20:52 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]While I am checking the lint trap (after closing the door but before starting the dryer), I can hear the timer motor going; it sounds a little like a mouse in the wall.[/COLOR]
This is normal.
on this unit in timed dry when the door is closed and the timer is not at the off position it will run.
[COLOR="Blue"]
During the most recent time I ran the dryer, I noticed that this particular sound stopped and restarted occasionally.[/COLOR]
This may also be normal.
The noise from the timer motor and it's gears etc. is not always consistent.
What is important is if the timer dial/knob stops turning and stays there.
Could be the timer is starting to go but it could last years.

[COLOR="Blue"]I know that the blower is cutting out occasionally, just like the timer, per observations in my first post...[/COLOR]
This has me stumped.
If the blower totally stops but the drum keeps turning then you will have to open the unit up and check the motor/blower.

Since you are not able to pull the dryer out it may be time to get in a pro.
If you click on the motor in section 03 item 61 in the parts a new page will open with a video. This shows how to change a motor but will also be useful in how to check it.
starhawk  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 1, 2014 2:57:40 PM(UTC)
starhawk

Seems to me that if the blower and timer are running intermittently, it's likely to be an electrical issue, but what do I know?

Do dryer power cords go bad? How about the socket? I can't really get to those but I'd still like to know what the issue is...
denman  
#7 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2014 12:07:06 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]Seems to me that if the blower and timer are running intermittently, it's likely to be an electrical issue, but what do I know?[/COLOR]
Do not feel bad because in this case I do not know.
Yes it should be an electrical issue.
Problem is that the drum does not stop and for the blower to stop and the drum and by default the dryer motor to not stop, it has to be a mechanical issue.

[COLOR="Blue"]Do dryer power cords go bad?[/COLOR]
Yes they can.

[COLOR="Blue"]How about the socket?[/COLOR]
Yes it can

[COLOR="Blue"]I can't really get to those but I'd still like to know what the issue is...[/COLOR]
I would also like this but cannot figure it out.
starhawk  
#8 Posted : Sunday, November 2, 2014 12:59:13 PM(UTC)
starhawk

What if the motors (timer and otherwise) and possibly the element are stopping, but just briefly enough that momentum kicks in and I don't notice the drum "spinning down"? At least with the timer it's only for a few seconds each time... I'd "eyeball" it at about 5-10sec absolute max, and probably closer to 2-3sec.

Besides, I tend to put a lot in that dryer at once. Even with an empty drum it would have plenty of momentum -- steel is heavy stuff ;)
denman  
#9 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2014 1:34:02 AM(UTC)
denman

Yes that is a possibility.
Sorry but again I have a "problem is" re: the blower will also not shut off.

You could check this by putting the unit into an air only mode (might be called air fluff etc.). This is important because if you run heat with the door open you can blow a thermal fuse.
Open the door and manually activate the door switch.
Start the unit.
Then release the door switch for approximately the time you feel it is shutting off and then activate it again.
If you see the same symptoms as your problem then you know that you are correct.

The above may take two people so you can abserve what is going on.
starhawk  
#10 Posted : Monday, November 3, 2014 6:11:19 PM(UTC)
starhawk

I'll try to remember to do that tomorrow. Getting late here ;)
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply