Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

3 Pages123>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
fixanything  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 5:22:56 AM(UTC)
fixanything

Groups: Registered

Onset of the problem: Dryer loaded and operating, wife smells what she describes as burning rubber, checks dryer and finds outer cabinet is hot to touch, opens door dryer stops. Now its husbands (my) problem. Unit will run, igniter will not glow. Continuity OK @ flame sensor, OHMs good @ igniter, thermal fuse OK. I have 120V to "ground" found at igniter connector with door switch jumped and drive motor running (belt off drum). No 120V across igniter connector? Appears neutral is missing? Traced neutral back to multi-pin connector on motor. Wiring diagram shows a NO contact between 2M (source) to 1M igniter (opposite ends of the connector) for neutral. Contact appears to be internal to the motor? It was late so I didn't look at the 2M source side to see if my neutral was there.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
File Attachment(s):
Wiring MGDC300XW1.pdf (603kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 1:53:44 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Motor switch is within the motor wiring receptacle. It is operated by a centrifugal mechanism in the motor on the rotor shaft. You can operate this mechanism manually using a screwdriver to push on the disc that operates a lever that operates the switch.

Eric

UserPostedImage
fixanything  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 2:26:25 PM(UTC)
fixanything

Thanks Eric, I give that a try along with checking the incoming neutral to the motor centrifugal switch, something I neglected to try yesterday.
fixanything  
#4 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 6:15:46 PM(UTC)
fixanything

Ok so I push the clutch disc and I get continuity across the contacts of the centrifugal switch. Run the dryer and now getting the 120V @ the connector of the igniter. Put everything back together for a trial, no glow :(
Anyway now I'm toasted for tonight after working all day, then coming home to play with this unit. The only other straw to grasp is that I am getting voltage with not enough current to make the glow? I do recall reading in one of the other posts that dirty pitted contacts on a flame sensor could reduce the current needed to get the igniter hot? Going to give that a shot with a jumper tomorrow, any idea on jumper wire size? I'm thinking #14 solid copper ought to do. Any comments on the flame sensor possibility and the jumper try?
Thanks & Good night!

Joe
fairbank56  
#5 Posted : Monday, October 27, 2014 6:57:31 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Not likely the flame sensor. More likely a bad ignitor. If ignitor was good and flame sensor had dirty contact, there would be a voltage drop across those bad contacts and voltage at ignitor would not be 120vac. If you have 120vac across ignitor (with ignitor connected) and it doesn't glow, then it's bad. Probably broken as they are very fragile. If you are unplugging the ignitor to check voltage, that doesn't tell you everything. You must check voltage while it's connected. If voltage is low, then you know you have a bad connection somewhere (motor switch or flame sensor or elsewhere). To determine where problem is requires checking voltage across those components with everything connected and dryer running. If there is significant voltage across the motor switch for example, then those contacts are faulty.

Eric
fixanything  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2014 2:16:30 AM(UTC)
fixanything

6:00am EST, not one to give up I checked the forum right out of bed! The igniter could be faulted, but is brand new. I replaced it when I started troubleshooting because I had 120V to ground at the connector so I figured it was open. I'm going to take your tips & advice and go at it again tonight with DVM in hand! At this point I think I can have the drum out in 7 minutes flat! I'll also shut down the gas this time just incase I get "the glow" The wife is getting tired of the laundry mat dryer routine!
fixanything  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, October 28, 2014 6:45:22 PM(UTC)
fixanything

Pulled the drum, jumped the door switch and turned on the dryer. Black DVM lead to ground. Used the other DVM lead to check for V before and after flame sensor, igniter, & cent switch on motor getting 121V anywhere I touch. New igniter @ 61.5 ohms, original igniter I though was bad @ 102.6 ohms, near 0 ohms at flame sensor and cent switch. Main sol coil @ 1.3k ohms assist sol coil (3pins) @ .58k, 1.9k, & 1.3k. using all pin combinations, any suggestions? :confused: Am I doing something wrong? I hate to give up now especially since I've become so proficient is disassembling the dryer in record time!
Thanks
Joe maybe I can't fix everything?
fairbank56  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 29, 2014 4:53:21 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

You have an open neutral. You should read 120vac on one side of the ignitor only. The other side is neutral when motor is running. You would read 120vac on both sides if neutral is open somewhere. Most likely the motor switch or connector.

Eric
fixanything  
#9 Posted : Thursday, October 30, 2014 6:50:56 PM(UTC)
fixanything

The open neutral was the thermal cutout on the back of the dryer hot air inlet duct. Traced it that far and then jumped it an the igniter started to glow right away. It appears there is also a hi temp switch in series with the fused cut out device and it is recommended that also be replaced. I will do that. All my ducting is clean so I'm not sure why this would occur? My wife says that the dryer occasionally feels like it is running hot according to touching the cabinet. The only theory I could come up for this occasional heat with was that a very lightweight article of clothing would get stuck across the exit vent inside the drum restricting the air flow? I plan on replacing the thermal unit Friday so if anyone has comments on what else to look for as the cause of the thermal fuse opening please let me know.
Thanks
joe
fairbank56  
#10 Posted : Friday, October 31, 2014 4:37:56 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Not making sense. Thermal cutoff is not in the neutral circuit, it's in the hot side. If it was open, you would not read voltage anywhere around the ignitor, solenoid coils or flame sensor. Thermal cutoff is last line of defense and should only open if hi limit thermostat fails which is why you should replace that as well if cutoff opens. Did you check for lint buildup inside the blower housing and lint chute?

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply