Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Bud_Jones  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 9:41:09 AM(UTC)
Bud_Jones

Groups: Registered

The dryer gets too hot to touch on the top and rear panel. I check the thermostat and element connectors and there seems no problem.

I checked the l250 thermostat continuity and it is closed as normal. Put the thermostat on a skillet at medium high heat and the thermostat clicked and there was no longer continuity, until I removed it from heat and then there was continuity again.

Thermostat seems good, so I checked continuity to ground between 3 heating element connectors. No continuity so it doesn't seem the element is shorted to ground. (I triple checked using known good ground points). There is continuity between all three heater element pins and each other.

Could something else make it get too hot?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 11:03:37 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The l250 thermostat is the hi limit thermostat. Need to check the operating thermostats located on the duct trap at front of dryer. What is the part number on the dryer wiring diagram?

Eric
Bud_Jones  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 12:55:23 PM(UTC)
Bud_Jones

Thanks Fairbank56, I pulled the two thermostats, L135, and L145. I tested in the skillet and both popped off around medium temperature and came back after cool down. It seems they're good too. Any ideas?
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 1:43:26 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Part number of the wiring diagram???
Bud_Jones  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 2:18:25 PM(UTC)
Bud_Jones

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
Part number of the wiring diagram???

I'm not sure if any of these has a number you can use.
File Attachment(s):
FILE0481.JPG (547kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
FILE0482.JPG (712kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
FILE0483.JPG (557kb) downloaded 6 time(s).
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 4:06:11 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Is there no wiring diagram in or on the dryer anywhere? Normally, the parts lists for these dryers lists the wiring diagram number so that we can look it up and view the diagram. There isn't a diagram number listed for this old dryer so I can't look for it. GE diagrams usually have wiring diagrams or mini-manuals as they call them with numbers like 31-xxxxx. Can't really help much without seeing the wiring diagrams. You need to determine at what temperature the operating thermostats are opening. Just because they open when set on a hotplate doesn't mean they are working correctly. They are designed to open and close at certain temperatures. This is what determines the dryer operating temperature. If they are working correctly, the only other thing that can cause overheating is an air flow problem or a grounded heater element.

Eric
Bud_Jones  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 4:34:21 PM(UTC)
Bud_Jones

I fairly good at following wires, I just hadn't resorted to it yet. It looks as if power comes from the control housing to the thermostats and back to the control. The heater wires lead to the control, so it seems the control is doing the actual feeding of power to the elements. Is that typical, and if so could something in the control panel be deffective?
fairbank56  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, October 8, 2014 4:52:37 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

The operating thermostats are in series with the heating elements. When the thermostat opens, the heating element circuit is open and the elements turn off. When the temp cools down, the thermostat closes again turning the elements back on. The elements are cycled on/off throughout the cycle to maintain temperature. The dryer can overheat if the operating thermostats are not working properly. It can also overheat if there is excessive lint buildup in the internal and/or external ducts, if the blower wheel is slipping on the motor shaft or if the drum and/or blower seals are leaking.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply