Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
monicaw  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2014 1:13:27 PM(UTC)
monicaw

Groups: Registered

i just got a newer dryer. it was plugged in and working at the former owners house. i get it to my house and find i have to change the outlet. i switched the 3 prong 220 outlet to a 4 prong 220 outlet. an electrician checked my work and said it looked great. but when i plug in the dryer it instantly pops and flips the breaker. i had a 50 amp breaker in place but the dryer was fliping it. so after some research i replaced it with a 30 amp breaker. dryer still flips breaker immediatly on plugging in. what is happening? is problem with dryer? if so where? or what?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2014 2:12:08 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
What is the proper model number? The number you gave is for a washer.

Eric
monicaw  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2014 4:13:17 PM(UTC)
monicaw

correct model number: 11085088400. i cant figure out how to edit that in my original post. sorry
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2014 4:31:59 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Maybe the power cord got damaged during the move? Or possibly the cover on the back of the dryer got bent and is shorting out the power cord terminal block?

Eric
monicaw  
#5 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2014 6:05:55 PM(UTC)
monicaw

i just figured it out. oddly enough by reading a section of the owners manual. it said the machine was origanlly set up for a 3 wire cord/outlet connection. and when being switched to a 4 wire connection the ground wire on the machine needed to be placed with the white wire and not connected to the cabinet of the machine. (what i dont understand is it came to me with a 4 wire power cord and it was plugged in and working at the previous owners house with the ground wire attached to the machine.) but anyways that fixed the problem instantly. just goes to show the power of the owners manual. lol thank you anyways though.
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 4, 2014 6:20:24 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

You got that backwards. With a 3 wire cord, there should be a jumper between the white wire connection (neutral) and cabinet ground. In a 4 wire cord, the jumper is removed or the wire terminal is just placed with the center neutral terminal. Neutral goes to the center terminal (white neutral) and ground (green wire) goes to the cabinet. However, even if it was hooked up with neutral and ground tied together, that should not cause the breaker to trip. Something else is amiss. You should have it checked out by a competent electrician.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply