Discuss

Kenmore gas dryer will not heat

 in

Dryer Repair

. "

Gas dryer will run but not heat. I have followed the troubleshooting tips but am having no luck. I am

..."
 
 
Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Dryer Repair » Kenmore gas dryer will not heat

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2009, 06:51 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3
mcclr is on a distinguished road
Default Kenmore gas dryer will not heat
Model Number: 110.79812990   Brand: Kenmore   Age: 5 - 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com


Gas dryer will run but not heat. I have followed the troubleshooting tips but am having no luck. I am getting no voltage a the ignitor when the dryer is running on a heat cycle. There is also no voltage present at the thermal fuse or the cycling thermostat but there is voltage at the thermal cut-out. Motor runs fine. What would be upstream of these components that would cause this behavior? It is interesting to note that there does show voltage to the thermal fuse and cycling thermostat when the dryer is plugged in but not running.


Related Models
Hoover 1100 
Kenmore 110088732791 WASHER/DRYER LAUNDRY SYSTEM
Magic Chef 1100PAA RANGE- F/S STD GAS
Magic Chef 1100PAW RANGE- F/S STD GAS
Magic Chef 1100PAW-K RANGE- F/S STD GAS
Magic Chef 1100PAW-KL RANGE- F/S STD GAS
Magic Chef 1100PAW-L RANGE- F/S STD GAS
Magic Chef 1100PRA RANGE- F/S STD GAS
Magic Chef 1100PRA-K RANGE- F/S STD GAS
Magic Chef 1100PRW RANGE- F/S STD GAS
Magic Chef 1100PRW-K RANGE- F/S STD GAS
Kenmore 11010202000 COMPACT WASHER
Kenmore 11010202001 WASHER
Kenmore 11010502990 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11010502991 AUTOMATIC WASHER, COMPACT A/W
Kenmore 11010852990 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11010852991 AUTOMATIC WASHER, COMPACT A/W
Kenmore 11012202100 WASHER
Kenmore 11012502100 AUTOMATIC WASHER, COMPACT A/W
Kenmore 11012852100 AUTOMATIC WASHER, COMPACT A/W
Kenmore 11013202200 WASHER
Kenmore 11013212200 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11014102300 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11014112300 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11014202300 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11014212200 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11014222300 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11014502300 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11014852300 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11015732400 WASHER
Kenmore 11015842400 WASHER
Kenmore 11015852400 WASHER
Kenmore 11015862400 WASHER
Kenmore 11015864400 WASHER
Kenmore 11015942400 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11015942401 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11015944400 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11015944401 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11015952400 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11015952401 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11015954400 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11015954401 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11015962400 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11015962401 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11015964400 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11015964401 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11016101690 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016101691 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016102500 WASHER
Kenmore 11016102501 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11016102502 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11016202690 WASHER
Kenmore 11016202691 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016212500 WASHER
Kenmore 11016212501 WASHER
Kenmore 11016212502 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11016212503 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11016502690 WASHER
Kenmore 11016502691 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016502692 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016502693 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016502694 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016512690 WASHER
Kenmore 11016512691 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016512692 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016602690 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016602691 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016602692 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016602693 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016611690 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016611691 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016611692 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016612690 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016612691 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016612692 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016732500 WASHER
Kenmore 11016812500 WASHER
Kenmore 11016812501 WASHER
Kenmore 11016812502 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11016812503 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11016852500 WASHER
Kenmore 11016852501 WASHER
Kenmore 11016852502 WASHER
Kenmore 11016852503 WASHER
Kenmore 11016862500 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11016862501 WASHER
Kenmore 11016862502 WASHER
Kenmore 11016862503 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11016872690 WASHER
Kenmore 11016872691 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016872692 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016872693 AUTOMATIC WASHER
Kenmore 11016882500 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11016882501 WASHER
Kenmore 11016882502 WASHER
Kenmore 11016882503 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11016922500 WASHER
Kenmore 11016922501 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11016922502 WASHER
Kenmore 11016922503 WASHER
Kenmore 11016922504 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11016942500 WASHER
Kenmore 11016942501 WASHER
Kenmore 11016942502 WASHER
Kenmore 11016942503 RESIDENTIAL WASHERS
Kenmore 11016962500 WASHER
Kenmore 11016962501 WASHER
Kenmore 11016962502 WASHER
Kenmore 11016962503 RESIDENTIAL WASHERS
Kenmore 11016964500 WASHER
Kenmore 11016964501 WASHER
Kenmore 11016964502 WASHER
Kenmore 11016964503 RESIDENTIAL WASHERS
Kenmore 11016972500 WASHER
Kenmore 11016982500 WASHER
Kenmore 11016984500 WASHER
Kenmore 11016986500 WASHER
Kenmore 11017102700 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11017122700 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Kenmore 11017132700 RESIDENTIAL WASHER
Reply With Quote
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com
 
  #2 (permalink)  
Old 10-24-2009, 11:12 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,429
kayakcrzy will become famous soon enough
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclr View Post
Gas dryer will run but not heat. I have followed the troubleshooting tips but am having no luck. I am getting no voltage a the ignitor when the dryer is running on a heat cycle. There is also no voltage present at the thermal fuse or the cycling thermostat but there is voltage at the thermal cut-out. Motor runs fine. What would be upstream of these components that would cause this behavior? It is interesting to note that there does show voltage to the thermal fuse and cycling thermostat when the dryer is plugged in but not running.
Take your volt meter, and put it on ohms, and unplug the dryer, and know test all those conponents. The one, that has no continuity will be your problem. Tom ******************************************** - Parts
Reply With Quote
  #3 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2009, 06:44 AM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3
mcclr is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrzy View Post
Take your volt meter, and put it on ohms, and unplug the dryer, and know test all those conponents. The one, that has no continuity will be your problem. Tom ******************************************** - Parts
Thanks for the reply. I had already used the ohmmeter to check continuity of the thermal fuse, the thermal cut-out and the cycling thermostat. The first two checked out fine but the cycling thermostat showed continuity only on the two larger outer terminals. The two smaller inner terminals were open. I clipped the two smaller terminals together and started the dryer again. This made no difference. Other than these three parts, is there anything else in the circuit that could be causing the problem? Also, I have removed the belt from the motor so that I could make the tests with the front off and the drum would not turn. I assume this would not cause additional problems. I cannot find a schematic for this dryer. Using a non-contact voltage detector, I find voltage at all of the components with the dryer plugged in but not running. When I start the dryer, no voltage is detected except at the thermal cut-out. Is this normal?
Reply With Quote
  #4 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2009, 02:49 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,429
kayakcrzy will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclr View Post
Thanks for the reply. I had already used the ohmmeter to check continuity of the thermal fuse, the thermal cut-out and the cycling thermostat. The first two checked out fine but the cycling thermostat showed continuity only on the two larger outer terminals. The two smaller inner terminals were open. I clipped the two smaller terminals together and started the dryer again. This made no difference. Other than these three parts, is there anything else in the circuit that could be causing the problem? Also, I have removed the belt from the motor so that I could make the tests with the front off and the drum would not turn. I assume this would not cause additional problems. I cannot find a schematic for this dryer. Using a non-contact voltage detector, I find voltage at all of the components with the dryer plugged in but not running. When I start the dryer, no voltage is detected except at the thermal cut-out. Is this normal?


Allright here's the gig. So you have the drum out, so you can view everything. I guess, you have the door switch still plugged in, or jumped out. So here is how we need to diagnose this. First thing is if the glow coil comes on and no gas, replace the coils on the gas valve. If the glow coil does not come on, it will either be the glow coil, the white thermal fuse in the back, or the flame sensor. Lets start at the flame sensor. Take the 2 wires off the flame sensor, and put the terminal ends together, and put some tape around them, so they do not hit metal, and the ends make good contact. Then plug the dryer in, and see if the glow coil come on, and you get ignition, Then replace the flame sensor. If the coil does not come on, leave the flame sensor jumped out, and go to the back, and jump out the white thermal fuse. Jump it out the same way, you did the flame sensor, then plug it back in and see if the glow coil comes on. If not, the glow coil is the problem. Let me know what you find. If by jumping anything out, and the dryer works, DO NOT RUN the dryer with any conponent jumped out. This is for testing reasons only. Sometimes, the meter does not tell all. Do this, and we will get to the root of the problem. Tom ********************************************
Reply With Quote
  #5 (permalink)  
Old 10-25-2009, 05:44 PM
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 3
mcclr is on a distinguished road
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by kayakcrzy View Post
Allright here's the gig. So you have the drum out, so you can view everything. I guess, you have the door switch still plugged in, or jumped out. So here is how we need to diagnose this. First thing is if the glow coil comes on and no gas, replace the coils on the gas valve. If the glow coil does not come on, it will either be the glow coil, the white thermal fuse in the back, or the flame sensor. Lets start at the flame sensor. Take the 2 wires off the flame sensor, and put the terminal ends together, and put some tape around them, so they do not hit metal, and the ends make good contact. Then plug the dryer in, and see if the glow coil come on, and you get ignition, Then replace the flame sensor. If the coil does not come on, leave the flame sensor jumped out, and go to the back, and jump out the white thermal fuse. Jump it out the same way, you did the flame sensor, then plug it back in and see if the glow coil comes on. If not, the glow coil is the problem. Let me know what you find. If by jumping anything out, and the dryer works, DO NOT RUN the dryer with any conponent jumped out. This is for testing reasons only. Sometimes, the meter does not tell all. Do this, and we will get to the root of the problem. Tom ********************************************
Thank you for your help, Tom. I jumped the thermal cut-out and got the igniter to glow and the flame to start. I should have been able to figure this out for the great troubleshooting tips that are provided on this site but I must have misread one of the tests. The dryer circuit is really pretty simple. I made a jumper wire with an alligator clip on each end and use it to jump around the components. This showed which component was bad. I could have also done it with the ohm meter if I had done it properly. When I re-tested it after removing it, it showed open. A simple continuity test as suggested on this site would have gotten to the problem very fast had I done it correctly.
Thanks again.
Reply With Quote
  #6 (permalink)  
Old 10-26-2009, 04:33 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer
 
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,429
kayakcrzy will become famous soon enough
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcclr View Post
Thank you for your help, Tom. I jumped the thermal cut-out and got the igniter to glow and the flame to start. I should have been able to figure this out for the great troubleshooting tips that are provided on this site but I must have misread one of the tests. The dryer circuit is really pretty simple. I made a jumper wire with an alligator clip on each end and use it to jump around the components. This showed which component was bad. I could have also done it with the ohm meter if I had done it properly. When I re-tested it after removing it, it showed open. A simple continuity test as suggested on this site would have gotten to the problem very fast had I done it correctly.
Thanks again.
Good Job. At least it is not costing you an arm and a leg for the repair. Tom ********************************************
Reply With Quote
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com
 
Reply


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Kenmore Dryer Will Not Heat Up mastaone Dryer Repair 1 11-09-2009 03:45 AM
No Heat From Kenmore Gas Dryer grazzin Dryer Repair 2 09-16-2009 03:40 PM
Kenmore dryer will not heat lpennock Dryer Repair 2 05-11-2009 06:19 AM
Kenmore Dryer will not heat T.A.M. Dryer Repair 1 02-10-2009 06:28 PM
Kenmore Dryer No Heat mishdeme Dryer Repair 3 01-23-2008 06:56 PM



All times are GMT -7. The time now is 03:24 AM.

The content on this web site is for informational purposes only and is not intended to replace an on-site diagnosis from a qualified appliance service technician. By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com , Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.

1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17