Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jmills3179  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 1, 2014 10:05:01 AM(UTC)
jmills3179

Groups: Registered

We are having some problems with our dryer and I apologize in advance if this question has already been answered somewhere. We actually have two problems that I am pretty sure are very related to each other and I can't find any answers that address both of these problems.

We purchased our washer and dryer set used from our neighbor last summer. The dryer was only used by them for about a year and then sat in their garage for about 4 years unused. They said it ran perfect for them. We previously had two dryers prior in 8 years and both had the same venting system location and both dryers worked nicely. We only got this dryer because our other one was having electronic problems, so nothing wrong with actually drying clothes.

I noticed right away that the dryer took a very long time to dry. All previous dryers I have ever owned took one cycle to dry a load and this dryer took at least two, sometimes a third time if it was a large load of towels. I spoke with an appliance guy and he suggested cleaning out the vent under our house since the dryer is in the middle of our house and does not go directly outside. My husband took it all apart and cleaned everything but it did not change the drying time.

We continued to use it that way for a few months and then our heating element burnt out last december. The element was completely black and broken and fused together in places. We replaced the element and high limit switch and used it for two more months before it went out again in February. The element looked the same as the first time. We purchased another one, replaced them again and it went out again in May. Same thing but this time it has just been sitting until we can find out a solution to the problem.

I am pretty sure the extra long drying times is somehow related to the elements burning out. I am wondering if this sounds simple to anyone else or if it is just too problematic to fix. I keep reading that venting is the most common problem but I am pretty sure that is not the case here for a couple of reasons. First because other dryers worked fine and because my husband cleaned all the vents from the dryer all the way to the vent outside without it changing the drying time.

I would really appreciate any thoughts on this. Thank you!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.