Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
gremgrem  
#1 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 9:19:04 AM(UTC)
gremgrem

Groups: Registered

My dryer smells very hot and the back plate in the dryer drum is reaching 190-210F. I've checked that the thermistor has 13.6k Ohms resistance at room temp and varies down as it gets hotter. I've also checked that the thermistat has 0 ohms of resistance at room temp and I can see the heating coils turning off and on at a seemingly reasonable interval. I've disconnected the air duct so it's just blowing into the room and there is a lot of hot air coming out.

Could it still be the Thermostat? What's left to check?

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

mr_mjsjr  
#2 Posted : Monday, April 7, 2014 4:13:54 PM(UTC)
mr_mjsjr

Groups: Registered

those readings actually sound good. the thermistor regulates the operating temperature. if the unit gets to hot the thermal fuse will blow, leaving you with no heat. the thermostat is a high limit thermostat, so in the event that the heater housing overheats it will open and cut power to the heater and start over. it works in conjunction with the high limit, so if the temp in the heater gets out of hand it will blow and you get no heat. when you measure the dryer temperature you do it at the exhaust vent. it should measure around 160 on high. you may also want to ensure that the heater coil did not warp and ground to the heater housing. most likely though, is that the unit sat for a while and lint/pet hair/dander settled on the element an burned off. make sure there is no lint built up in the unit.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply