Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
JustMyLuck  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 17, 2014 7:20:08 PM(UTC)
JustMyLuck

Groups: Registered

I had just finished putting in a set of lightly used Maytag Centennial washer and dryer that I recently purchased. Both were working and running. In a rush to put the cover back over the dryer terminal connection, while the dryer was still running, I managed to touch the metal cover to the far right terminal and the metal of the dryer at the same, which caused a big spark.

The damage to the terminal connection and pigtail were minimal, only a bit of charring. I showed pictures and the pigtail to a worker at the local appliance repair store. The appliance repairman quickly said that the wear shouldn't have caused any trouble but that it was likely human error in not flipping the breaker properly. I asked if I had done it properly, and there was still an issue, what is the possible solution? His answer was likely a bad breaker.

I checked with a multimeter to see if the receptacle had power but it seemed that the little tips from the multimeter couldn't reach far enough to get a reading, but they worked on 110 outlets.

I'm trying to avoid paying for an electrician come to tell me it is the appliance or vice versa. Also, despite having looked up the proper wiring connection for a four prong pigtail, it seems that I followed bad advice and connected the ground wire to the white wire of the dryer. Rather, I should have connected the the appliance wire to the neutral lug on the terminal connection.

Any ideas on what might be the cause or next steps? I'm likely to try and test to see if there's any power when the dryer and cord is all hooked up and plugged in at the terminal connection, but I need to know the proper way to do so and I don't want to follow anymore improper advice.

Model number will be coming tomorrow. Photobucket link has picture of terminal connection and I will upload picture of wire tomorrow with update. Thank you in advance!
igotpotatoes's Library | Photobucket
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.