Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
TommyTaltec  
#1 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 11:41:06 AM(UTC)
TommyTaltec

Groups: Registered

My gas dryer is tripping the breaker. If I plug in the dryer with the door closed it trips. If I plug it in with the door open, it doesn't trip until I close the door. The door switch is ok. It has a red, a gray and a black wire. The black wire goes to the bulb. I have continuity between the red and black wires with the door switch in the open position, and continuity between red and the gray wires in the closed position. Where does the gray wire go to? I haven't figured how to access the control panel. I took the top cover off and can see in there some. There is a gray wire on signal control and a gray wire on the extended tumble control. I have turned them both off, but it still trips the breaker.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 2:33:11 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
The gray wire goes to the timer. Is it tripping the breaker with the timer in the OFF position?

Eric
TommyTaltec  
#3 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 2:46:57 PM(UTC)
TommyTaltec

I put the timer in the off position, and it didn't trip when I plugged it in. I unplugged, set the timer, and it tripped again when I plugged it in.

It initially tripped when running, so the timer had remained where it was, mid cycle.

Thanks for your help.
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 4:32:33 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Do you have a multimeter? A better way to figure this out is to use a multimeter rather than keep tripping the breaker, but if you don't have a meter, unplug dryer, open control panel and disconnect the wires from the timer at the H, M and S terminals. Plug dryer back in and turn timer on. If it doesn't trip breaker, reconnect wires one at a time to determine which circuit is the problem. Open door before touching terminals to remove power or unplug washer. Report findings.

Eric
TommyTaltec  
#5 Posted : Saturday, February 8, 2014 6:52:39 PM(UTC)
TommyTaltec

I do have a multimeter, but would need more guidance as to what I'm looking for. I'll unplug those terminals and see what I get on each, with timer set, door open/closed, etc. Thanks again, Tom
TommyTaltec  
#6 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 12:09:19 PM(UTC)
TommyTaltec

The orange H wire that goes through the hole to the base is tripping the breaker. The orange H wire that goes to the temperature control doesn't trip the breaker. The dryer runs with only the one H wire off, without heat.

Thanks again, your help is greatly appreciated.

Tom
fairbank56  
#7 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 1:04:40 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Wire may be chaffed somewhere and grounding out. Wire runs to cycling thermostat on front of blower housing. Remove front lower panel for access. Other side of cycling thermostat has wire to hi-limit thermostat on heater box, other side of hi-limit wire goes to gas valves and flame sensor.

Eric
TommyTaltec  
#8 Posted : Sunday, February 9, 2014 1:45:52 PM(UTC)
TommyTaltec

The limit thermostat with two pink wires attached was laying on the bottom. I put it in place, now it doesn't trip and is heating. The rest of the thermostat was still screwed in place. I'm guessing the part doesn't normally detach in this way and should be replaced. I probably hit it putting the drum back in when I replaced the rollers a while back.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply