Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mvcampbell8  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2009 11:31:01 AM(UTC)
mvcampbell8

Groups: Registered

PLEASE HELP! I just bought a house and within a week the dryer stopped working - of course! To start the dryer, you turn a knob to the right slightly. When I turn the knob, the dryer hums, but won't start up. Someone suggested I check the belt and I did open the dryer and the belt is fine. After reading online posts, it sounds like I may need a new motor, but before ordering one, thought I would run the problem by you! Thanks so much!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2009 3:28:10 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for GE DPXR473EW0WW | AppliancePartsPros.com

Try turning the drum in the correct direction. It should turn fairly easily.
Could be it is just jammed.

If the drum will not rotate but it heats up then the centrifugal switch mechanism on the motor may just be clogged up heavily with lint and need cleaning.

Try the following:
Open the door and hold the door switch closed.
Turn the dial to start.
Turn the drum in the correct direction by hand.
Watch your knuckles in case it starts up.
If it starts then odds are high you need a new motor.

I would not buy a motor until you have pulled it apart and checked other parts which may be on the verge if failing.
Check the belt, the rear support bearing, front glides, idler wheel, drum seals, etc.
This will basically be an overhaul but depending on the parts required and the condition of the unit it may make more sense to replace it.

Also a good idea to clean/check your vent system.

Here is a good site with basic dryer repair help
http://www.applianceaid.com/dryers.html
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
applianceman  
#3 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2009 7:33:12 AM(UTC)
applianceman

If you go through the steps Denman describes and you decide the motor is bad try cleaning the motor real good before you replace it. At times lint (or anything) can get in the motor switch. About half the motors I find bad I can fix by taking a portable air tank in the house and blowing out the motor and then using a vacuum cleaner to suck out the rest. Like I said this only works about half the time but it is worth a shot! Even if the dryer doesn’t heat still try this! If this doesn’t work you will have to replace the motor. Also if you don’t have access to a portable air tank just vacuum it out it will probably do the trick. Clothes Dryer Repair Guide
mvcampbell8  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 21, 2009 10:03:14 AM(UTC)
mvcampbell8

Thanks to both of you for your advice. I plugged the dryer back in so that I could try what you suggested (holding in the door button, turning the start knob and spinning the drum), but now when I turn the start knob, I get nothing...no humming, no noise, but there is electricity getting to the unit as the light in the drum turns on when I open the door. Can I assume that it is now safe to say the motor is shot? I'd like to try to repair it myself -- if I order a new motor through your website and it turns out that it is not the motor, can I return the part or am I stuck with it? Thanks again!
denman  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 22, 2009 4:32:10 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Can I assume that it is now safe to say the motor is shot?
Could be but I would check that the belt switch is OK.
May also be a thermal fuse has popped.

PS: I hate GE's trying to troubleshoot without a wiring diagram is a royal pain and GE likes to keep this info a secret.

I'd like to try to repair it myself -- if I order a new motor through your website and it turns out that it is not the motor, can I return the part or am I stuck with it?
I just volunteer here so you will have to contact the people at AppliancePartsPros.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
sparklehorse2010  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, May 25, 2010 6:28:46 AM(UTC)
sparklehorse2010

I have the exact same problem as you described in your post. My dryer is just 2 years old. Model DSKP333EC0WW. This is the portable dryer. It was humming. Called GE and they virtually will not help with trouble shooting. I spun the drum and nothing happened. When I spun the drum and quickly shut the door and hit start-up it completely died. No noise nothing. I feel this is a scam on GE's part. They knowingly are supplying a dryer that is faulty and the only thing you can do is fix it yourself or pay a fortune to them to fix it. Is there anything that us consumers can do?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply