Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
brokedryer  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2014 3:47:25 PM(UTC)
brokedryer

Groups: Registered

When I press the starter button the dryer will not start 99% of the time.
I have test starter switch 348314. When I press it, it stays activated until the Timer 3392949 reaches Off. I have tried to jump across the 2 leads (blue and yellow that are switched, but nothing occurs. Resistance is zero, voltage zero (when switched on). Voltage is 110 across Pink (with black-other wire) to yellow, and also pink to Blue.
I thought it might be the fuze in the blower, but I cannot determine how to get to it. It appears I would need to take the 'top' off the dryer, but cannot figure out how. Though fuze is 'iffy, because the motor does engage sometimes. Any help? Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

fairbank56  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2014 6:37:35 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
Sounds like you have a faulty motor switch but that's an old model and I cannot find wiring diagram for it. If you could post a high res photo of it, I could be of more help. It may be inside the control panel.

Eric
brokedryer  
#3 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2014 6:52:16 PM(UTC)
brokedryer

Thanks for the reply.
See if this wiring diagram helps (it doesn't help me :o).
What is it that you want the photo of?
File Attachment(s):
KEYE767.pdf (51kb) downloaded 4 time(s).
fairbank56  
#4 Posted : Monday, January 13, 2014 7:18:52 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

That's what I was looking for. Where did you find that? When motor won't start, does it hum at all or totally quiet? Try jumping timer terminals T to W. You should be able to remove the rear panel for access to thermal fuse although I agree that it's not likley the problem since motor starts sometimes. Sounds more like timer or motor switch. Jumping timer T to W will rule out timer. You've already confirmed your getting 120vac through timer to start switch.

Eric
brokedryer  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:01:38 AM(UTC)
brokedryer

I jumper T to W with the timer in a non Off position. The motor would run as long as I continued the jump.

I found the wiring diagram on this site, I can send you the location later.

You said next step might be motor switch. Is that different than starter switch? Where is it, what do I do.

Thanks for the help
fairbank56  
#6 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2014 11:27:24 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

If motor works with timer T to W jumped but won't run without the jumper, then timer is bad. No need to check motor switch. That switch is the part on the motor that the wiring harness plugs into.

Whirlpool 3392949 Timer - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric

BTW, found the link for the wiring diagram, missed it somehow.
brokedryer  
#7 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2014 12:38:58 PM(UTC)
brokedryer

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
If motor works with timer T to W jumped but won't run without the jumper, then timer is bad. No need to check motor switch. That switch is the part on the motor that the wiring harness plugs into.

Whirlpool 3392949 Timer - AppliancePartsPros.com

Eric

BTW, found the link for the wiring diagram, missed it somehow.

What's the chance I could jump T to W and put a switch there. Turn it on to run, to it off to quit? Dryer is not worth the price of a switch.:(
fairbank56  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, January 14, 2014 3:24:31 PM(UTC)
fairbank56

Are you saying that the start switch doesn't work either? With dryer off, placing timer into a drying cycle with T and W jumped should not cause the dryer to start. You should still have to start it with the start switch. The timer contacts between T and W are normally closed during most of the timed dry cycle and auto-reg cycle but is opened at end of cycle to stop the motor and sound the buzzer. If you leave it jumped, the buzzer will not work and dryer will take a little longer to shut off. Also, T to M contacts are used in latter part of perm press cycle to cycle dryer on/off and sound buzzer during cooldown part of that cycle.

Eric
brokedryer  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, January 15, 2014 7:05:43 PM(UTC)
brokedryer

Jumping T to W works with timer in other than Off position and Starter Switch ON. The starter switch works, the timer appears to be defective.

Eric, Is there a jump that I can make on the timer (I'll put a light switch or something on it) so that I can turn that light switch on, push the start button and have a working dryer? I don't care what cycle it is as long as it heats up. Buzzer and shut off seem irrelevant. It will turn off when I flip the light switch to off. Just trying to get by until I can get a new dryer.

Thanks, David
fairbank56  
#10 Posted : Thursday, January 16, 2014 3:53:48 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Well, the contacts between T and W appear to be the problem so you can put a switch between them but it's going to affect the perm press cycle. The latter part of that cycle is the cooldown period and timer contacts T to W are used to cycle the dryer off/on (on 15 seconds every 5 minutes) during that time. During the other cycles, T to W is closed anyway so your switch should be fine.

Eric
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply