Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
nkaufman  
#1 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 4:13:57 AM(UTC)
nkaufman

Groups: Registered

Roper Electric Dryer model – REX6634PQ0 - hums when switched on, drum does not move. If we keep dryer plugged in and EVEN when dryer timer knob is in OFF position, we hear something running – like a running belt or fan etc.

While plugged in, when we open the door, we see a light/filament burning inside the dryer and it gets warm as well.

Pressing the start button has no effect whatsoever.

Opened the top panel of the Dryer and see that the belt looks OK, it is tight and am able to rotate drum. Now, should I look at motor or look at thermal fuse etc?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

nkaufman  
#2 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 6:58:06 AM(UTC)
nkaufman

Finally got that. Was missing noticing the black door switch. So I set timer, pressed the black door switch and pressed the ON button and drum started rotating. So we put one load in the dryer and it seemed to work. After it stopped, we again have this issue of humming sound.

So did the above steps again and again dryer seems to be working. What could be wrong? I have opened only top panel so far and haven't looked at motor or anything else yet.
fairbank56  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 7:22:29 AM(UTC)
fairbank56

Groups: Expert

Was thanked: 7 time(s) in 7 post(s)
If heat is on without the motor running, then the motor is bad. More specifically, the motor switch. Either the centrifugal mechanism is jammed with lint/gummed up, springs are broken or switch contacts are welded shut. This would also cause the timer motor to be powered all the time which would account for the humming sound. Is the humming from the timer area or the drive motor?
nkaufman  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 10, 2014 7:38:57 AM(UTC)
nkaufman

Originally Posted by: fairbank56 Go to Quoted Post
If heat is on without the motor running, then the motor is bad. More specifically, the motor switch. Either the centrifugal mechanism is jammed with lint/gummed up, springs are broken or switch contacts are welded shut. This would also cause the timer motor to be powered all the time which would account for the humming sound. Is the humming from the timer area or the drive motor?

Right now, the dryer is running fine. The humming problem happens when we open the door mid-cycle and then close the door and press the ON button. As long as we are leaving the timer to complete the cycle, dryer seems to be running fine. Once current timer is done, we'll leave it as it for some time and then start the dryer again and see if we have the same problem.
nkaufman  
#5 Posted : Sunday, January 12, 2014 7:43:00 AM(UTC)
nkaufman

Dryer worked fine yesterday with ONE issue, it would not start sometimes (I think about 3 out of 7 loads). In all 3 cases, took out the clothes from the dryer, opened the door, set the timer to a dry position, pressed the black door switch, rotated the drum then pressed the ON button. Drum started rotating. I then put all clothes in the dryer and in all the 3 times, dryer worked fine.

So should I still open the front panel and look at the motor?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply