Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
espantapajaro  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 18, 2013 8:25:26 PM(UTC)
espantapajaro

Groups: Registered

Hello,

My gas dryer seems to be heating intermittently. The dryer cycles correctly but when I check on the clothing they are wet. The exhaust is sometimes hot, and other times not, and the clothes come out pretty damp.

Now that I am repairing it, I have replaced it, so it sits in unconnected from the gas. I realize that I should have cycled it using the timed setting (which I never use) rather than just the auto dry setting (which I always use) in order to establish whether or not the moisture sensor could be faulty.

I checked the gas valve coils and this is what I got...there are 2 side be side. the one with 2 prongs registered infinite resistance, the one with 3 prongs registered around 2 ohms at the terminals.

I suspect the 2 prong terminal may be bad given the infinite resistance, but I don't know the non powered state of the coil (closed or open).

The igniter glows after 7 sec and goes off after 15 sec.

I realized after writing this that I need to hook it back to gas and power and determine in the following: Does the gas valve open and ignite. Does the "timed dry" feature work properly. Does the "auto dry" feature work properly.

I would love to hear your thoughts, as I may need further help and may not get to checking on it again for a few days.

Thank you,
William
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Appliance Ninja  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 5:46:56 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

I suspect you have intermittent gas coils. They often times will test good but will not perform after initially opening the valve. I would recommend replacing the coil kit, available at the link below. There is also a video at that link, showing how to replace those coils.

Frigidaire 5303931775 Dryer Gas Valve Coil Kit - AppliancePartsPros.com
espantapajaro  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 3:53:59 PM(UTC)
espantapajaro

Thank you.

I am curious, does the zero continuity reading I got on the 2 pronged coil indicate a failed coil? I thought a coil with no continuity across the terminals meant a failed coil. I understand what you mean about the other coil testing good but possibly being bad during operation.

Also as a side curiosity, I plan on testing the moisture sensor just to learn a bit more...My guess is that if the sensor is good I should get no continuity at the sensor terminals when the dryer is off, and low resistance if I essentially jump the sensor side of the sensor with a wet rag. Comments?
Appliance Ninja  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 19, 2013 4:00:00 PM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

The coil should read about 1300 ohms, but may test good but be intermittent. As far as the sensor goes, you should read infinite resistance at rest and a low resistance with a wet rag across the strips. It is a good idea to clean the strips with sandpaper or other abrasive to remove any residue from softener or detergents that may insulate them. Test them before cleaning and you will likely see a significant difference in the resistance of a wet rag after cleaning. I hope this helps to answer your questions.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply