Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
redjada  
#1 Posted : Monday, November 11, 2013 2:35:02 PM(UTC)
redjada

Groups: Registered

Having so heat issues on this dryer. It's about 5-6 years old. Yesterday wife told me it's taking along time to dry. She said no heat. So today I took a quick look. Made sure all exhaust, lint trap, etc... is clear. Good to go there. I did find that it will heat up every once in awhile. Sometimes I turn it on and I have heat. Sometimes turn it on no heat? By listening when I hit the start button, sounds like I have the spark type igniter. I can hear the click right after I hit the start button. I'm not going be able to get into this until this weekend. Looking for things to look at and check?

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

redjada  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:31:30 AM(UTC)
redjada

Can anyone help me out here?
Appliance Ninja  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 9:38:21 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

Intermittent heat is a very common problem and is caused by weak solenoids on the gas valve. These solenoids open and close the valve as the unit calls for heat. They get weak and will not open or not keep open the valve, causing the intermittent heat you are now experiencing. I would recommend replacing these valve coils, available below. There is a generic video showing how they are replaced, your machine may look a bit different but use the same coil kit.

Whirlpool 279834 Dryer Gas Valve Coil Kit - AppliancePartsPros.com
redjada  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 1:51:54 PM(UTC)
redjada

Thanks AN, I will order the part and check out the video. Cant loose at this price. I will Post this weekend and let you know how it went.
Appliance Ninja  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, November 12, 2013 2:02:06 PM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

I suspect you will be all fixed up after replacing those coils. Let me know how it goes. Have a great evening!
redjada  
#6 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2013 8:03:40 AM(UTC)
redjada

Well, replacing the gas valve coils as suggested by Appliance Ninja did the trick. I tested several times after I got the dryer back together and had heat every time. The link Appliance Ninja posted with the video helped a lot with disassemble. As he mentioned, the video is just a generic version but got me on my way. In this particular model, the lint trap is inside the door. No need to worry about that for this repair. This repair was much easier and less labor intense. Following the video, I opened up the top. Disconnected wires for the door switch and light. Removed the 2, 5/16 screws for the front panel just as stated in the video. The front cover is just sitting on a couple L type brackets. After removing the 2 screws, just lift up and the front panel comes right off. Here is where I thought things were going to get a little more complicated. I discovered another panel with 4 screws holding the drum in place. After looking inside with my flashlight. I saw the gas coils right there in front, left hand side. No need to remove the drum for this repair. I used a short screw driver to remove the two screws on the coil bracket. Removed coils, making sure the sleeve for the one coil stayed in place and installed the new coils. Reassembled in reverse order. Here are a couple photos of the repair. Notice the red mag light. That's where the gas coils are.

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

UserPostedImage

I hope this helps someone else down the road. Please note, any other internal repairs will most likely require removing the drum. Thanks to Appliance Ninja and appliance parts pros. this is a great site.
Appliance Ninja  
#7 Posted : Saturday, November 16, 2013 8:06:26 AM(UTC)
Appliance Ninja

Thanks for sharing your success story and the pictures, that is great! Glad it is all fixed and going, great job, very well done!
redjada  
#8 Posted : Saturday, November 15, 2014 6:57:31 AM(UTC)
redjada

Well, now almost a year to date I am not getting gas at all through the valve. I can hit start and see the spark but no fire. If I put a lighter where the gas comes out I still get no fire. Any ideas? Thanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply