Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
patmac  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2009 7:18:49 AM(UTC)
patmac

Groups: Registered

We have been getting intermittant(not sure if it's a function of load size or not) damp clothes out of this dryer. I started it last night and waited about 15 minutes and the dryer top was hot, so I left it. This morning, some of the clothes were damp. So I don't know if the heat went off too soon, or it stayed on but didn't have good air flow. I checked behind the screen and it was packed with lint as far down as I could reach. I took the vent hose off and it too was loaded. Looking in from the front, I can see lint build up behind the drum through the holes in the drum. This tells me lint is getting through where it shouldn't. How/where do I check/clean out? I have the panel off on the back bottom where the vent hose hooks up and see alot lint in the chassis. I guess I'm stuck right now on how to take it apart to clean it out really good. Thanks for your time.

edited: opened the front, hinged back the top and got to everything except the lint behind the holes in the back of the drum. I didn't see any place for a c-clip on a bearing shaft so I wasn't sure how to get the drum all the way out. Took out a 5 gal pail of lint from all over(mostly in front under the fine lint screen), vacuumed inside the chassis. The vent hose to the outside looks clogged enough that I'm going to replace it. Are the holes in the back for the drum important(most likely)? If so I need to know how to get at them, the lint wouldn't suck through the holes. Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

sidfink43  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2009 6:42:23 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Groups: Senior Expert

If you release the belt you should be able to just take out the drum and then get all of that area clean. Make sure you have taken off the blower cover and get the blower wheel and vent section to the back free of lint.

That should do it.
patmac  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:09:45 PM(UTC)
patmac

Thanks. I took the drum out and got to the lint behind the holes. Also sucked out the entire vent line too. Short of it is, I filled 2, 5 gallon pails with lint, 3/4 from the vent line, the rest from inside the machine. Right now I have an issue though. With a pretty hefty wet load in the machine, it now makes a rattling noise. I removed some of the load and it's fine. It didn't do this before. I'll pop the hood tomorrow and make sure the belt is ok. I'm 99% sure it went back in the right way. With less of a load it sounds as it did before I took it apart. Blowing like mad now and the heat is fine. It must have been overheating before and shuting off the heat, since there really was no air flow at all.
sidfink43  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, October 14, 2009 5:35:59 PM(UTC)
sidfink43

Wow

I spend some time rehabbing dryers donated to a non-profit for sale to help their cause, and most of them are loaded with lint but I don't thinkI have that much ever.

On your dryer now that you know how to take it apart I suggest you change out the rear bearing, belt, idler assembly and front glides. You can find the parts here if you want by clicking on your model number. This maintenance should solve any noise problem, and if you keep your lint filter clean your dryer should last many years to come.

Thanks for updating us, good luck with your machine.
patmac  
#5 Posted : Thursday, October 15, 2009 3:37:26 AM(UTC)
patmac

Thanks. It looks like it will be around $75(plus shipping) for those parts. I'm still going to run it with the back cover off today to see if I reassembled it wrong, hard to do I realize. With a normal sized wet load it works and sounds great. The sound is definitely coming from the drive and pulley area, but only with a king sized wet load.
patmac  
#6 Posted : Saturday, October 17, 2009 9:12:23 PM(UTC)
patmac

Seems like most loads now don't produce that noise. Found dates written on the wall in the wash room from previous owner, and this dryer is 29 years old. I'm going to let it ride for now. If the rattling comes back I'll make the move for the parts, and maybe get another 20 years out of it. :-) Thanks again for your time.
sidfink43  
#7 Posted : Sunday, October 18, 2009 5:49:59 AM(UTC)
sidfink43

Great, good luck and thanks for the update.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply