Discuss

Dryer Problem - Fuse Blowing

in

Dryer Repair

. "

Having an issue with my dryer that started over the weekend. Dryer cycles normally with high heat for about 7-8

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Dryer Repair » Dryer Problem - Fuse Blowing

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 10-22-2013, 05:21 AM

ppp2000 is on a distinguished road
Default Dryer Problem - Fuse Blowing
Brand: Whirlpool   Age: 1 - 5 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Having an issue with my dryer that started over the weekend.

Dryer cycles normally with high heat for about 7-8 minutes and then single household fuse blows. Fuse panel has a pair of 30amp D fuses and then a breakout box for dryer that has a second pair of two time delay 30 amp fuses...the red wire side keeps blowing, black doesn't have any issues. Dryer still operates after fuse blows, but with no heat.

Took dryer apart, cleaned it all out. Cleaned out the ventilation duct and airway isn't obstructed.

Repair person told me I could try replacing the heater. I had a spare heater so I swapped the part out and started it up without the ventilation duct attached to see if problem persisted. I could see the same fuse in the fusebox looking like it was going to pop.

I'm having an electrician come out to the house to check the fusebox, but in the meantime I was wondering if there's anything I might have missed on the dryer side that I could look at beforehand so if Electrician call isn't needed I can cancel it...Could the High limit thermostat be the issue?

Thanks for any help.

Last edited by ppp2000 : 10-22-2013 at 05:33 AM.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 10-23-2013, 02:37 AM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

denman is a name known to all

A model number may help others help you.

FYI the red side is usually just the heater current while the black side carries the heater, motor and timer current.

I doubt it is related to the high limit as even with it's contacts welded together the line should be able to provide enough current to keep running. Also it would probably blow the thermal cut-off.

The electrician will have to measure the current flow to try and isolate the problem.