Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
army9955  
#1 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2009 11:03:12 AM(UTC)
army9955

Groups: Registered

Our dryer does not heat any longer but it worked well since we moved into our home approximately 3 years ago. I don't know how old it is but it is in great condition. It runs well but just suddendly stopped heating. I took it apart and was going to order a heating element and to play it safe I was going to order the thermal cut-off for the heating element which included the high limit thermostat for $22.55. But now that I was looking further, I saw a dryer thermal fuse and a dryer cycling thermostat. Now I'm looking at more parts and of course more money. Without a multimeter, how do I know which to replace? Order all four and take a chance or just the heating element? thanks.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2009 1:43:42 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Guessing is not the best and, in most cases, more expensive way to fix appliances. A simple multimeter (about $20) will help you to diagnose the problem and save $$$$.

The first thing I would do in your situation is check for 240 VAC to the dryer. While the motor needs only 120 VAC, the heating element would not heat without 240 VAC.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and Replacement parts for WHIRLPOOL LER4434AQ0 | AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene.
army9955  
#3 Posted : Monday, October 12, 2009 3:06:58 PM(UTC)
army9955

Groups: Registered

Forgive my ignorance, but do you mean the 3 wires going into the dryer from the 220 outlet?
My neighbor had a multimeter and the heating element was good, the thermal fuse was good, the thermostat going to the element was good but the other circuit, but I believe the cut-off for the dryer might be bad because it did not sound when we hooked up the prongs to the multimeter. Next I would like to check what you mentioned then I will probably need to check the other thermostat to the other side of the dryer that has the 2 red wires and 2 purple wires going to it. I neglected to have my neighbor check it out as I brought the other parts to him that I thought might be bad. Thanks.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, October 13, 2009 4:17:51 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Remove the terminal cover (#5 on the diagram) and measure voltage between the middle wire and each of the side wires. The reading should be 120 VAC on each pair. The reading between the side wires should be 240 VAC.

Here is the wiring sheet for the dryer.

Gene.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply