Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RArnold  
#1 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 6:49:32 AM(UTC)
RArnold

Groups: Registered

I recently replaced element and all thermostats and thermofuse for Amana electric dryer. The dryer is now getting very hot, does not seem to cycle, but I just replaced the cycling thermostat, so I don't know what else to do.

Changing from Regular setting to No Heat works, but changing from Regular to Delicates, heat is still very hot. Checked element; it is not grounding to frame. I don't know how hot it is getting, but seems to be hotter than 155, so I don't know why thermostats don't shut it off.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2008 3:28:57 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Measure the temperature at the dryer vent (on the back of the dryer) and post it.

Gene.
RArnold  
#3 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:53:09 AM(UTC)
RArnold

Tried to check temp out of vent with a meat thermometer, it was all I had. The temp got up to 150; it was probably hotter than that, it heats red hot in 30 sec, smells burning smell, and does not cycle.

I would think that if it got too hot, the thermostats or thermofuse would open, so it is possible that it is not getting over around 150, but it just seems to be getting a lot hotter than that.
Gene  
#4 Posted : Thursday, February 14, 2008 4:22:41 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
If the new heating element stays "on" all the time I would recommend to take the dryer apart and check if you installed all parts and connected all wires according to the wiring diagram.

Gene.
RArnold  
#5 Posted : Tuesday, February 19, 2008 9:14:11 AM(UTC)
RArnold

Thanks Gene for your help. I took apart dryer and rechecked wiring, thermostats and element not tied to ground. Ran dryer and it ran as it has been, I was cycling between no heat, delicates and normal; no heat works, but delicates seems no change from normal; then the element shut off for some reason, thermostats and element is not open though.

My wife has had the dryer for four years, and says that automatic cycle has never worked, only timed cycle under 60 min works. So I am wondering if a defective timer could cause the element not too cycle and delicate cycle to work. I don't want to spend more money on the dryer if I'm not fairly certain that it will solve the problem.

thanks
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply