Appliance Repair Forum

Appliance Repair Forum (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/)
-   Dryer Repair (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/dryer-repair/)
-   -   Maytag Performa dryer not running (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/dryer-repair/535611-maytag-performa-dryer-not-running.html)

bluex 09-19-2013 01:11 PM

Maytag Performa dryer not running
 
Hello

Today while doing a load of laundry the dryer quit. The wife says it smelled like something was burning and the clothes do have an electrical burnt smell to them.

I currently have the dryer torn completely apart tying to locate why it wont run. The first thing I checked is the door switch, it works as normal. I then checked the timer and it seems to be working as needed as well. Using the diagram in the timer housing I have followed the circuits (I'm an industrial maintenance technician) and it appears I have power everywhere where needed but the motor wont run and therefore the heaters don't turn on either. I finally located the thermal fuse and it checks good as well. The heater element ohms out to about 11.5-11.6 ohms which also should be good from what I've read.

When I test the motor plug I'm getting 120v on the purple wire when the start button is pushed and also 120v on the orange when its released. If I was at work I'd change the motor, but since I have to buy one at $140ish I wanted another opinion before spending the money. Is there anything else I should check before buying a motor? It spins freely (which I know doesn't mean much) and ohms at 1.7 ohms between the windings.

Thanks,
Paul

Maytag PYET344AYW

denman 09-20-2013 02:00 AM

When measuring the voltage across the motor, where is the reference lead of the meter?
If it is on the white wire at the motor connector then I would say that the motor is toast.

bluex 09-26-2013 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by denman (Post 830032)
When measuring the voltage across the motor, where is the reference lead of the meter?
If it is on the white wire at the motor connector then I would say that the motor is toast.

That was my error, I was measuring voltage to ground not neutral.

I removed the thermal fuse and checked it again and it was bad. I guess trying to get my hands and the meter leads down in there it was touching them together. I just finished putting a new thermal fuse, thermostat and heater assembly in and it works great now. I also cleaned the lint out of the dryer and all my piping to the outside of the house. I was actually shocked by how much was clogged up in there. No doubt that was what caused it to overheat.

Thanks for the help.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 05:56 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17