Appliance Repair Forum

Appliance Repair Forum (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/)
-   Dryer Repair (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/dryer-repair/)
-   -   Water damage to Kenmore Elite (http://forum.appliancepartspros.com/dryer-repair/534455-water-damage-kenmore-elite.html)

proftod 09-03-2013 06:35 AM

Water damage to Kenmore Elite
 
So, my son apparently put the garden hose in the external dryer vent. . . We found out a few hours later when we saw water on the floor.

I would imagine that only a few gallons of water were sprayed in and the dryer was NOT running during this time; however, clearly, we are worried that 1. our dryer will not work when we try it; 2. that someone will be electrocuted in the process of starting the dryer.

I unplugged the dryer, removed the vent tub, and placed the dryer on its back over night to drain it. Currently, I have a fan blowing in the back of the dryer (I have not opened the dryer).

Apart from getting a mega dryer for my dryer, what are my options?

Any help is appreciated.

Todd

HumboldtRepairMan 09-03-2013 06:41 PM

You need to open and air out the whole unit inside and make sure it's completely dry after a couple days.......If you noticed the motor wet your probably screwed to be honest hopefully that's not the case. Wait a couple days then stand on a piece of wood or a good insulator after you made sure it's completely dried out and see what you get. Good luck

denman 09-04-2013 04:37 AM

Yes open it up so you can see what got wet.
Check inside the heater coil case for water, etc.

Spin the idler wheel, drum support wheels and motor armature.
If they do not turn easily use a drop of oil.
Do not go crazy with the oil as it will attract/hold lint.

Use a hair dryer on the motor especially the built in switches.
Heat them up and then let them cool down.
Do this several times.
With luck you will be able to evaporate out any water that got in there.

Wearing rubber boots should insulate you, just do not touch anything else when starting the unit up.
Odds are high that the unit is not an electrical hazard as long as it is properly wired. If there was a circuit path from power to the machines case/frame it should have blown the breaker as the current would go through your ground connection.

You can check this by measuring the voltage from a bare metal spot on the frame to the water pipes (if they are copper), should be 0 AC volts.

proftod 09-04-2013 11:05 AM

Thanks for the feedback. I'll give it a try.


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 01:13 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.6.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO ©2011, Crawlability, Inc.


1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 17