Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
j s machine  
#1 Posted : Monday, September 2, 2013 5:58:49 PM(UTC)
j s machine

Groups: Registered

I have a Kenmore 90 Series dryer with over 10 years of age. The dryer stopped heating. There is absolutely no heat.

I watched this video to do my checks and figure out the names of the components

KENMORE DRYER REPAIR VIDEO 5 - YouTube

When testing everything, the high limit thermal fuse, and high limit thermostat are open. I am getting continuity in the cycling thermostat and in the heating element itself. I have removed the heating element completely and physically checked it for a break and there is none. I am using a digital multimeter and I get a reading of 010 (not zero) when checking it, but I do get the audible beep. I assume this reading is the resistance from the length of the element itself?

I checked the breaker and I am getting 120 volts on each side.

I saw here where someone said the high limit thermal fuse and high limit thermostat need to be replaced as a pair. if this is correct, please let me know so I can order these parts.

Thanks
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

HumboldtRepairMan  
#2 Posted : Monday, September 2, 2013 6:54:41 PM(UTC)
HumboldtRepairMan

It's a rule of thumb when replacing thermo's to replace them in pairs unless you want to reopen your machine everything a thermostat or cut off burns out..............Change the burner chamber in pairs as it comes in a kit and if you haven't changed the operating thermostat next to the thermal fuse it'd be wise to do it because that may be your culprit. As you said you have continuity in this but didn't say it's infinite on one leg and low resistance on the other as it should be and if it's not or rattling excessively replace it this is one of the most important parts in regulating the temps. Before you replace all the parts measure the voltage at the heating element you should have 240 if you don't you may have a wire or timer issue. Also you never stated whether or not you checked the ventilation out of the unit a clogged or semi clogged exhaust line out of the house will cause this because of backpressure messing up thermostats. Go watch some more video's you missed some steps in diagnosing that will help you.
j s machine  
#3 Posted : Monday, September 2, 2013 7:09:13 PM(UTC)
j s machine

I did check for blockage issues..none present. I had the whole thing apart about a year ago to put a motor in, and I cleaned it extensively then.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply