Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Muskyman  
#1 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 1:44:53 PM(UTC)
Muskyman

Groups: Registered

PERPLEXED - my 29" Whirlpool electric dryer LER6646PW0 won't start.
Checked with multi tester :
power from outlet ok
power at terminals ok
thermal fuse ok
thermostats ok
door switch ok
push to start ok
timer ok
drive motor ok (runs when jumped from blue motor wire on thermo fuse and
white wire on timer)
belt is ok
push start button - nothing ??????????
spent the day on line looking for answer.
did ALL the tests - what did I miss ?
motor is running now - going to run it for an hour to see if it overheats.
no sign of burned or worn wires - everything looks good and inside was surprisingly clean when I took it apart.
any ideas ???
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

HumboldtRepairMan  
#2 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 3:20:17 PM(UTC)
HumboldtRepairMan

With intermittent issues it could be any one of those parts acting up to be honest you can test one thing then under load it doesn't work or does off and on. Unfortunately you might have a harness short or bad connection somewhere or an intermittent motor or timer issue which is hard to track sometimes. Take a really good close examination at parts and wiring harness and connections. Also could be random voltage problems at your wall outlet that you may be sharing or overloading that circuit if it's not isolated also. Good luck
Muskyman  
#3 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 4:53:37 PM(UTC)
Muskyman

I'm starting to think it might be the timer. timer motor seems ok - advances and clicks - I only checked for continuity - not volts. I'm thinking I need to check timer with all wires off as everything seems to run through it. I read a similar situation on another blog that was resolved by testing THE PINK/BLACK wire on the push to start to the blue that runs to the timer - don't want to spend $100 for a new timer if mine is good. already bought a push to start I didn't need. Anybody need one ?? Thanks in advance for any insight .
Muskyman  
#4 Posted : Saturday, August 31, 2013 8:59:33 PM(UTC)
Muskyman

I used a small jumper wire to jump the white and tan wire on the outside of the wire harness on the right side of the timer and the dryer started. Does this indicate a bad timer???
Thanks in advance
HumboldtRepairMan  
#5 Posted : Sunday, September 1, 2013 6:09:40 AM(UTC)
HumboldtRepairMan

Sounds like it but i don't know your wire harness to tell you
Muskyman  
#6 Posted : Sunday, September 1, 2013 3:04:19 PM(UTC)
Muskyman

dryer works now with white and tan wire on timer switch assembly harness jumped from outside while harness still plugged in. Timer motor also works and shuts off dryer at end of timed dry cycle so I'm thinking I have fried contacts in the timer switch. heat works. I taped up jumper wire to prevent any short. This tells me it has to be the timer switch assembly - right? Went to Sears Parts store and of course they don't carry part # 3979618 and have to order it. I want to make sure that's what I need before I order as it is the most expensive part - as much as a motor. I would like to get a Factory reconditioned timer - they are half the price. Any ideas where that can be had?? I learned alot over the last few days about dryer repair.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply