Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
kman83  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2013 11:12:28 AM(UTC)
kman83

Groups: Registered

My GE dryer has a metal cover/grate in the back of the dryer drum. Some material had gotten melted onto it. I removed it to clean the material off of it. It is held on by three fasteners. Once I removed the fasteners, I found out that they not only hold the cover in place but apparently also hold the back end of the drum in place. So that now the back end of the drum moved downward slightly and the three hols in the back of the drum don't line up with the three holes in the structure behind the drum. It would seem that the only way to put the metal cover and back end of the drum back into place is to have one person reach inside the drum and attempt to lift the back end up slightly to align the holes while a second person reaches into the back and puts the fasteners in place. This seems difficult if not impossible. Is there an easier way to put everything back together? Also, I was very surprised that these fasteners held the drum in place as well as the metal cover. Why do it this way? It seems like a better design to have them only hold the cover in place and have separate fasteners underneath the cover holding the drum in place. Thus allowing for easy R&R of the metal cover. What gives?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

HumboldtRepairMan  
#2 Posted : Sunday, July 28, 2013 2:58:36 PM(UTC)
HumboldtRepairMan

Dismantle the machine and pull out the drum.......and yes it's a difficult procedure you may need 2 people or have long arms and do it we change out bearing kits often alone it takes experience to make it easy.....good luck
kman83  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 3:45:58 AM(UTC)
kman83

Thanks for the info. I found a video on taking out the drum. Seems like the hardest part is removing and replacing the belt. Any other things to watch out for?

Is the reason for taking out the drum to stand it upright on it's back end with the opening facing up. Thus making it easier to align the fastener holes on the metal cover, the back of the drum, and the piece behind the back of the drum. Or do you align the pieces and fastener holes with the drum sitting horizontal on the ground while somehow holding it steady so it doesn't roll around as you align the parts and thread the fasteners?

Any details you can provide on the process of re-fastening that metal plate back in place would be great.
HumboldtRepairMan  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 29, 2013 3:30:27 PM(UTC)
HumboldtRepairMan

put one screw through the drum and spin the backpiece onto that one screw........then align the rest of the screws while doing it......also try tape to line it up to help if you need help
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply