Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
ray lotta  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 4:45:34 PM(UTC)
ray lotta

Groups: Registered

I have an older Maytag DG 482 gas dryer. just yesterday while drying, I found the dryer had stopped mid cycle. And when I turned the control knob to the off position, the buzzer would not turn off. It does turn off when the door is opened. However, now it wont start with the start button. I can hear the motor humming. I just recently replaced the thermostat and ceramic igniter. I can however get the drum to start spinning if I give it a little manual turn. I hope I made sense of my problem and hope you can help me with this matter. Oh btw, rollers spin ok and belt is not broken. A little worn , but still gets the drum spinning
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

HumboldtRepairMan  
#2 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 4:48:35 PM(UTC)
HumboldtRepairMan

It sounds like you may have a possible capacitor or motor start up winding problem since it will run once you get it in motion......check the voltage at your receptacle to make sure you're not having problems with the plug.
ray lotta  
#3 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 4:53:27 PM(UTC)
ray lotta

Originally Posted by: HumboldtRepairMan Go to Quoted Post
It sounds like you may have a possible capacitor or motor start up winding problem since it will run once you get it in motion......check the voltage at your receptacle to make sure you're not having problems with the plug.

Thanks, will do. I imagine it should read..220?. will check now and get right back
ray lotta  
#4 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 4:57:51 PM(UTC)
ray lotta

Thanks, will do. I imagine it should read..220?. will check now and get right back.... .Ok just checked with my Wiggy...reads 120. standard correct?
ray lotta  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 5:10:23 PM(UTC)
ray lotta

you mentioned capacitor. will that possibly be the reason, even if the igniter still goes on after I manually get the dryer to spin?
HumboldtRepairMan  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 5:12:16 PM(UTC)
HumboldtRepairMan

If it's gas you only need 120v.....but if it's electric you need 240v.....phases to ground and neutral should be 120v and phase to phase should be 240v.
HumboldtRepairMan  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 5:14:02 PM(UTC)
HumboldtRepairMan

The ignitor has nothing to do with the motor at all typically. Dryers run on heat and motion which are usually separate circuitry in the units. Check your tech sheet it should show you that.
ray lotta  
#8 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 5:17:36 PM(UTC)
ray lotta

The ignitor has nothing to do with the motor at all typically. Dryers run on heat and motion which are usually separate circuitry in the units. Check your tech sheet it should show you that.

Uhhh...tech sheet?? yikes!!! ok, well lets assume I didn't mention the capacitor, then. lol ...Or is that still a possibility. I appreciate any direction you can give. Ok...What"s next??
ray lotta  
#9 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 5:19:18 PM(UTC)
ray lotta

Originally Posted by: ray lotta Go to Quoted Post
Uhhh...tech sheet?? yikes!!! ok, well lets assume I didn't mention the capacitor, then. lol ...Or is that still a possibility. I appreciate any direction you can give. Ok...What"s next??

Oh, and it is gas. So 120 V...Check!!
HumboldtRepairMan  
#10 Posted : Monday, July 22, 2013 5:20:43 PM(UTC)
HumboldtRepairMan

Watch a youtube video on how to test dryer capacitors and motors you're going to need a multimeter for testing. Good luck
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply