Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
caelis  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 9:37:10 AM(UTC)
caelis

Groups: Registered

Hi, I have a Maytag LDG8604AAE propane dryer. Two days ago the dryer wouldn’t heat. I pulled the igniter off and when I set it on the floor it busted in five pieces, so I replaced the igniter. The dryer still wouldn’t heat, so I ran it without the front cover. The igniter initially heats, the gas ignited but flame was everywhere. I examined the burner and there were several rust holes, so I replaced the burner. The igniter lit, the gas ignited with good flame and extinguished after 30 seconds. The igniter would not come back on. If I let it set, the igniter will heat and the dryer will flame but for only 30 seconds. I removed the thermal fuse and it tested at 00.3Ω. Does anyone have any thoughts, even with APP quick shipping, the laundry is piling up.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

HumboldtRepairMan  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 17, 2013 4:33:56 PM(UTC)
HumboldtRepairMan

I'm assuming if you replaced the burner it came with brand new coils and you replaced it as a whole unit with valve included and didn't buy the burner in pieces right? If it didn't come with coils buy new coils they're around 20 bucks for most units. Also it wouldn't hurt to check the exhaust leading out of your house for good air flow......disconnect the hose from the rear of the unit and if the flame gets sucked into the tube going into the drum you know you have a ventilation block in the walls. Also consider the operating thermostat or thermister that may be an issue.
caelis  
#3 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 5:34:55 AM(UTC)
caelis

The burner just came with the burner cylinder, nothing else. I have the dryer duct completely off. The gas valve coils test at: two prong coil 557Ω, the three prong coil left to center 1366Ω, right to center 1924Ω and left to right 557Ω. It looks like that is within specs. I have continuity on the thermal fuse, the Hi-Limit Thermostat and the flame sensor. I don’t know how to test the cycling thermostat.
The dryer was working fine and on its third load of the day when it quit drying. I thought for sure it was the igniter, as it has gone out in the past. My wife did say she heard chirping, which I noticed was a symptom of bad gas valve coils. It is a good dryer, I hate to replace it for something that might be simple.
caelis  
#4 Posted : Thursday, July 18, 2013 7:19:06 AM(UTC)
caelis

On the cycling themostat, I have continuity between the two large spades and 6.96 ohms on the small spades.
caelis  
#5 Posted : Friday, July 19, 2013 6:45:08 AM(UTC)
caelis

I replaced the coils this morning, the dryer ignited for 20 seconds and quit. Can any of the sensors be jumped out to eliminate components?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply