Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
leftysrule22  
#1 Posted : Tuesday, July 16, 2013 8:09:50 PM(UTC)
leftysrule22

Groups: Registered

Hey folks,

I recently purchased a LG Tromm pair for $200 on craigslist. The guy I bought them from said they were both broken but knew nothing more. I took the risk being a handy guy. The washer wouldn't drain and I found a bad water pump, but if I drained it manually during the cycle it seems to work fine. New pump on the way.

The dryer, on the other hand, worked perfect when I plugged it in for a test other than smelling kinda funny. I saw some hairs hanging out underneath and started pulling - out came a clump of lint. I took the whole unit apart just for kicks....

What I found was quite literally a 3" thick layer of lint on EVERYTHING. I've spent the entire day shoveling lint out of this thing. By the time I was done I had filled a kitchen trash bag. There was a huge amount of burnt black lint all over the heating elements, its an absolute miracle this thing didnt burst into flames.

Anyway, now that its clean I want to go about repairing it and putting it back into service but I need to know how I can avoid this type of buildup. It looks like it could use some new sealing tape (foamy black stuff) around the exhaust components. Where can I get that? Is there anything else I can do to help prevent future buildup? The cloth-like ring on the back of the drum appears to seal OK, but I wouldnt be against a new one.

I hope its not a faulty design and just poor use in the past that caused this, I've never been a huge fan of LG products. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.