Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
mombbsmj  
#1 Posted : Friday, May 17, 2013 8:39:47 PM(UTC)
mombbsmj

Groups: Registered

A few weeks ago the dryer started to squeak when it started up then it went away after a couple of minutes. Then about a week ago I started the dryer and it squeaked, went away and I went upstairs. About 5 minutes later I smelled smoke and went to the laundry room. The room was filled with smoke and the dryer was making a squeaking, grinding type noise. I of course turned it off. Later my husband and I took the dryer apart and he checked the dryer rollers (we replaced all 4 last year). There was one that seemed to not turn as well so we order a roller and he replaced it. When he turned on the dryer it made a loud humming noise. We did some research online and decided it could be the idler pulley. We ordered that part (just the pulley, not the full kit as I was told it wasn't needed) and replaced that today. The dryer now makes more of a quiet humming noise and the drum still does not turn. Could it be the motor? Is it time to give up on fixing it?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 1:05:48 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Parts for LG DLE2532W Dryer - AppliancePartsPros.com

Try turning the drum manually in the correct direction, it should turn fairly easily. You may want to try this on a couple other dryers so you get a feel for it.
If it turns OK then The motor probably needs replacing.

I cannot say if it is time to scrap it.
It depends on what kind of shape it is in.
Also are you happy with the un it's performance when it does run OK.
I am assuming when you replaced the motor everything else (belt, seals etc.) looked OK so all you would need is the motor. If not take a look so you know what the total cost would be to give it n overhaul.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
mombbsmj  
#3 Posted : Wednesday, May 22, 2013 9:21:42 PM(UTC)
mombbsmj

Groups: Registered

Thanks for your earlier reply. We did end up purchasing a motor (cheaper than buying another dryer!) and we installed it fine. The drum is turning normally, clothes are drying..yay! But there is a clicking, ticking noise when the dryer is on. Do you know what it could be? We have replaced the idler pulley, wheels, and motor within the past couple of weeks. Thanks in advance for your help.
denman  
#4 Posted : Thursday, May 23, 2013 1:30:38 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]Do you know what it could be?[/COLOR]
I can just guess.

I am assuming that as with many noises you cannot tell where in the dryer the noise is coming from.
Perhaps the speed of the ticking may help you locate it.
The drum support wheels, idler wheel, and blower should be a fast tick as they all move very fast.
The most likely is something in the blower.

Anything to do with the drum will be slower.
Check the fins in the drum.
Check the belt for a crack.
Check the drum where the belt runs and the drum is supported.
Check that all the wires went back into the keepers where they were originally. Could be one of then is loose and catching on something.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply