Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
cellphone200  
#1 Posted : Thursday, February 7, 2013 10:02:43 PM(UTC)
cellphone200

Groups: Registered

When first powered up and started the dryer starts to operate like it should. The gas valve opens, ignitor glows and the gas burns a nice blue flame. After the thermostat cuts the heat for the first time. The flame never re-lights because the gas valve doesn't open, but the ignitor glows on and off.

I have worked through the normal troubleshooting procedures for this dryer. The high limit thermostat, thermal cutoff and thermal fuse are all good. I see the ignitor glow. I checked the continuity in the gas valve solenoids and they check out OK.

When I run the front panel diagnostics, I get an F:01 error. The troubleshooting chart I found in the bottom of the dryer tells me this means the control board should be replaced. Given the control board is 200 bucks is there anything else I should check before I try a new control board?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Joe / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 9:27:24 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Groups: Moderators

Was thanked: 1 time(s) in 1 post(s)
Originally Posted by: cellphone200 Go to Quoted Post
When first powered up and started the dryer starts to operate like it should. The gas valve opens, ignitor glows and the gas burns a nice blue flame. After the thermostat cuts the heat for the first time. The flame never re-lights because the gas valve doesn't open, but the ignitor glows on and off.

I have worked through the normal troubleshooting procedures for this dryer. The high limit thermostat, thermal cutoff and thermal fuse are all good. I see the ignitor glow. I checked the continuity in the gas valve solenoids and they check out OK.

When I run the front panel diagnostics, I get an F:01 error. The troubleshooting chart I found in the bottom of the dryer tells me this means the control board should be replaced. Given the control board is 200 bucks is there anything else I should check before I try a new control board?

Cellphone, It sure sounds like a bad set of gas valve coils,

Part number: AP3094251
Part number: AP3094251

You may want to run the dryer until the valve stops releasing the gas for ignition, then check the resistance of the coils/solenoids. It's not uncommon to get a "false reading on "cold" coils.

At this point, The F1 code could be an earler issue that has been resolved. You may want to reset the diagnostc codes, test or replace the gas valve coils, and go from there.

Thanks,
cellphone200  
#3 Posted : Friday, February 8, 2013 3:22:19 PM(UTC)
cellphone200

That was the problem! The coils are replaced, the dryer is working great. Thanks for your help.
Elliott07  
#4 Posted : Sunday, February 10, 2013 10:47:42 AM(UTC)
Elliott07

My problem(s) same as Cellphone200 up until the front panel diagnostic portion. I have been looking at web info about gas dryers. I believe the coils that sit on the gas valve are bad. Dryer exhibiting same symptoms as described at AskGene.com – when first turned on gas will ignite, drier turns. After unit is hot, dryer will NOT ignite gas. My dryer is old and has three coils (two sit on top of each other) with one below. If I replace the coils does it matter upside down vs. rightside up? What coils do I need? For Montgomery Ward model LCN8331A80 that I think is made by Maytag. It bears a serial number of 08K108557. Can I use the “newer” coils I have seen, one w/ two connections and the other w/ three? Thank you for your help.

I think I need the following part: Gas coil kit 12001348, is used on Maytag and Speed Queen Gas Dryers. [FONT=&quot]Kit includes boost coil 305605, holding coil 305604, and secondary coil 305603. Agree?[/FONT]
Joe / APP Team  
#5 Posted : Monday, February 11, 2013 5:37:45 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: Elliott07 Go to Quoted Post
My problem(s) same as Cellphone200 up until the front panel diagnostic portion. I have been looking at web info about gas dryers. I believe the coils that sit on the gas valve are bad. Dryer exhibiting same symptoms as described at AskGene.com – when first turned on gas will ignite, drier turns. After unit is hot, dryer will NOT ignite gas. My dryer is old and has three coils (two sit on top of each other) with one below. If I replace the coils does it matter upside down vs. rightside up? What coils do I need? For Montgomery Ward model LCN8331A80 that I think is made by Maytag. It bears a serial number of 08K108557. Can I use the “newer” coils I have seen, one w/ two connections and the other w/ three? Thank you for your help.

I think I need the following part: Gas coil kit 12001348, is used on Maytag and Speed Queen Gas Dryers. [FONT=&quot]Kit includes boost coil 305605, holding coil 305604, and secondary coil 305603. Agree?[/FONT]

Elliot07, You're on track, based on your post, you most likely have a "weak" coil on the gas valve and you would want to start at the gas valve coils. No, you won't be able to use the "newer" style solenoids, they won't work on your style gas valve. and will need to order the "three coil" kit

Part number: AP4008890
Part number: AP4008890

If you review and follow the instruction sheet, you shouldn't have any issues replacing the coils. They do have to be installed and "stacked" properly, for the valve to operate properly, but that is all explained in the instructions.
Thanks and Good Luck
Elliott07  
#6 Posted : Friday, February 15, 2013 5:34:15 PM(UTC)
Elliott07

So I ordered the older "three coil" type of Solenoid as Joe had mentioned above. Parts said they were for a Maytag. Fit perfectly in Montgomery Wards dryer. With the bracket holding the coils there is no room for error here. Gas valve opens now and flame lights - so looks good. :D Also cleaned out hundred years of lint from inside unit. Thank you for the help from this board.

E.
Joe / APP Team  
#7 Posted : Monday, February 18, 2013 6:10:25 AM(UTC)
Joe / APP Team

Originally Posted by: Elliott07 Go to Quoted Post
So I ordered the older "three coil" type of Solenoid as Joe had mentioned above. Parts said they were for a Maytag. Fit perfectly in Montgomery Wards dryer. With the bracket holding the coils there is no room for error here. Gas valve opens now and flame lights - so looks good. :D Also cleaned out hundred years of lint from inside unit. Thank you for the help from this board.

E.

Elliot,
Thanks for the update. We're glad things worked out. We'll keep an eye out for any future posts. Thanks Again
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply