Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jgwalter  
#1 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 9:03:12 AM(UTC)
jgwalter

Groups: Registered

Dryer stopped producing heat. When it was working, it took forever to dry clothes. Venting seems OK.

Finally, no heat at all, and ignitor tested as failed. I replaced ignitor, flame lights, but goes out after about a minute. About a minute or so later, it re-lights.

That seems like a very short cycle, especially with it running with the door removed.

Radiant sensor and cycling sensor test OK. I did not test high-limit sensor, but I would expect, if it were cycling off the high-limit, it would be due to an airflow blockage, which it does not have.

When running, it seems warm in the drum. Warm, but not real hot.

What is a common cycle time for the flame?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Simon / APP Team  
#2 Posted : Monday, January 28, 2013 11:48:23 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Groups: APP Team

Hi.

Do not run the dryer with out the door closed. The dryer overheats. Put some wet clothes inside, close the door, remove the vent hose from the back of the dryer and run one load.
If it drys good, put the vent back and run it again. If it's start taking longer then usual check the vent.
The flame should stay on at the beginning of the cycle for 1.5 to 3 min then off for 1 min.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and 07-Motor Drive parts for Maytag LDG8704AAE - AppliancePartsPros.com

Post the results.

Simon.
jgwalter  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:18:18 PM(UTC)
jgwalter

Originally Posted by: Simon / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Hi.

Do not run the dryer with out the door closed. The dryer overheats. Put some wet clothes inside, close the door, remove the vent hose from the back of the dryer and run one load.
If it drys good, put the vent back and run it again. If it's start taking longer then usual check the vent.
The flame should stay on at the beginning of the cycle for 1.5 to 3 min then off for 1 min.

Here are the breakdown diagrams and 07-Motor Drive parts for Maytag LDG8704AAE - AppliancePartsPros.com

Post the results.

Simon.

That logic doesn't seem to make sense to me, but in practice it seems to work that way.

With the door off, the flame only stays on for about 15 seconds, then cycles back on again in about a minute or so. With the door closed, it still was not producing much heat, and a medium sized load was taking several hours to dry.

So, I took apart the fan housing, and found a moderate-size clump of lint. However, I also noticed that the fan, while turning with the drum, was free-wheeling rather easily as well. So, it may have been stopped by the lint, or at least slowed.

I'm not sure if it is supposed to freewheel like that? I removed the clamp, cleaned it off, and replaced it to what seemed like a little tighter of a fit.

All back together now, and it appears to have a higher air flow, and the drum is getting a lot hotter. With it all closed up, I cannot tell how long the flame stays on, but it must be staying on longer?

Thanks for the help. Maybe now I can get another 20 years out of this machine? :-)
Simon / APP Team  
#4 Posted : Tuesday, January 29, 2013 3:37:18 PM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

Hi.

You perfectly detected the problem - the blower wheel is shot.

Replace it Part number: Y303836
Part number: Y303836

Good luck.

Simon.
jgwalter  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 5:30:55 AM(UTC)
jgwalter

Originally Posted by: Simon / APP Team Go to Quoted Post
Hi.

You perfectly detected the problem - the blower wheel is shot.

Replace it Part number: Y303836
Part number: Y303836

Good luck.

Simon.

Thanks again. I ordered the part, along with a new belt.
Simon / APP Team  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, January 30, 2013 9:55:00 AM(UTC)
Simon / APP Team

My pleasure.

Simon.
thorning  
#7 Posted : Thursday, May 2, 2013 6:10:51 PM(UTC)
thorning

I also noted the blower wheel on a Maytag dryer that was freewheeling on the shaft . The problem was the small amount of material in the collar design allows it to eventually wallow out and it will slip on the shaft thus reducing the output air flow.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply