Discuss

Dryer runs for a few seconds then shuts off

in

Dryer Repair

. "

Originally Posted by denman I would think the same as you but you have checked everything else and all that

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Dryer Repair » Dryer runs for a few seconds then shuts off

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 01-18-2013, 07:41 PM

dwaltrip is on a distinguished road

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by denman View Post
I would think the same as you but you have checked everything else and all that is left is the motor.

There are a couple scenarios where it could be the motor.

First it could be that the run winding on the motor is open. The way the motor works is that when it is at rest the start and run windings are in circuit. When the motor gets close to operating speed the centrifugal switch is activated, this disconnects the start winding (leaving it in circuit would overheat the motor). The motor then runs on just the run winding.
Normally a motor will not start on only one winding but yours may be abnormal.

Another possibility is that the motor has a broken wire in it. The wire's ends are touching so it will start up but once there is some vibration the break opens shutting off the motor.

The motor is just my best guess!!
I hate guessing but in this case I cannot think of anything else.
I need to ask you a question hoping you can answer this one. In my breaker box I'm at this time running a 100 amp breaker on my main shut off. And I'm at time using 380 amp's out of this box. The only trouble I've had out of this box up until now is this dryer. Should I pull that 100 amp breaker and add a 200 amp? Hope you can help e with this. Like I said I've had no other trouble out of this just asking for some help before I make a stupid move.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 01-18-2013, 07:50 PM

dwaltrip is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by denman View Post
I would think the same as you but you have checked everything else and all that is left is the motor.

There are a couple scenarios where it could be the motor.

First it could be that the run winding on the motor is open. The way the motor works is that when it is at rest the start and run windings are in circuit. When the motor gets close to operating speed the centrifugal switch is activated, this disconnects the start winding (leaving it in circuit would overheat the motor). The motor then runs on just the run winding.
Normally a motor will not start on only one winding but yours may be abnormal.

Another possibility is that the motor has a broken wire in it. The wire's ends are touching so it will start up but once there is some vibration the break opens shutting off the motor.

The motor is just my best guess!!
I hate guessing but in this case I cannot think of anything else.
I need to ask you a questionm Right now in my breaker box I'm running a 100 amp breaker on my main. And I'm using a total of 380 out of this box. I was told I needed to add a 200 amp breaker because of the usage coming out of this box. Other then my dryer problem I have not had anyother problems out off this box. Would it hurt anything if I add this 200 amp breaker? Hope you can help me.
Old 01-22-2013, 12:15 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

denman is a glorious beacon of light

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you but I was out of town for a few days.

Right now in my breaker box I'm running a 100 amp breaker on my main. And I'm using a total of 380 out of this box.
Not sure how you are coming up with a 380 amp usage?
If this was true you would be tripping the main breaker all the time.

Would it hurt anything if I add this 200 amp breaker?

You cannot just replace a 100 amp mains with a 200 amp mains breaker.
Definitely against electrical code and very dangerous.
To get 200 amp service the wires from the electrical company (telephone post or underground) have to be a bigger re: a lower gauge. Also the wires on your service entrance (wires that go from the electrical suppliers wires to the meter on the house and from the meter to the electrical panel) also have to be larger.

If you are just adding up the amperage of the breakers in the box to get your 380 amps then this is not really your usage.
Firstly the amount of current that a circuit draws will be less than the breaker size.
Also everything electrical in the house would have to be on at the same time to get anywhere close to what the breakers are listed at.