Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
smilley1  
#1 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2013 8:13:59 PM(UTC)
smilley1

Groups: Registered

I have replace the heating element,which had a broken coil.Also replace dryer cycling thermostat,dryer thermal fuse and dryer thermal cut-off-kit.I clean out dryer throughout. dryer has been working great for the last three weeks but now is tripping my circuit breakers after running for about 15 minutes,I check to see if unit is hot or overheating but no,I also check to see if circuit breaker is hot but no. Please let me know if you could give me some advise. Thank You model#TEDS740PQ1
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

letsride2385  
#2 Posted : Thursday, January 3, 2013 10:36:12 PM(UTC)
letsride2385

make sure you have proper airflow for heat, clean lint trap and good ventilation and check the outlet, test to see if your getting 240v
denman  
#3 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2013 2:28:09 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I cannot find any info on the given model number.
Please check it.
Are you sure it that the "e" is not a 0.

This may be difficult to troubleshoot.
If you can get hold of a clip on amp-meter, then you could monitor the current to the unit. Then if you see a a current spike just before the breaker trips, you know that something is heating up in the unit and then shorting out. Also it will let you see what the current draw is.

I would check the heating coil.
Unplug the unit and both wires at the heater.
Measure it, it should be 8 to 12 ohms.
Then measure from each heater connector to the frame/ground, both should be infinite resistance.
My thinking here is that the heating coil has grounded out in such a way that it still heats up but is shorting to the frame and drawing too much current.

Could also be that the breaker is toast.

When it blows the breaker can you reset the breaker and the unit will start right away.
If you have to wait a while it could be a problem with the motor overheating and tripping it's in thermal thermal cut-off. This is a long shot as the motor is not only overheating but also shorting out when it overheats.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
smilley1  
#4 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2013 4:56:27 AM(UTC)
smilley1

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
I cannot find any info on the given model number.
Please check it.
Are you sure it that the "e" is not a 0.

This may be difficult to troubleshoot.
If you can get hold of a clip on amp-meter, then you could monitor the current to the unit. Then if you see a a current spike just before the breaker trips, you know that something is heating up in the unit and then shorting out. Also it will let you see what the current draw is.

I would check the heating coil.
Unplug the unit and both wires at the heater.
Measure it, it should be 8 to 12 ohms.
Then measure from each heater connector to the frame/ground, both should be infinite resistance.
My thinking here is that the heating coil has grounded out in such a way that it still heats up but is shorting to the frame and drawing too much current.

Could also be that the breaker is toast.

When it blows the breaker can you reset the breaker and the unit will start right away.
If you have to wait a while it could be a problem with the motor overheating and tripping it's in thermal thermal cut-off. This is a long shot as the motor is not only overheating but also shorting out when it overheats.
------- Reply from owner of electric dryer

The unit does start immediately after I reset the breaker,I ran unit on the low heat cycle and I had no issue ran the whole cycle with heat,just to be clear I had this breaker installed new with a baseboard heater on the same line,could this be a problem if they are running at the same time,I will check the shorting problem,and thank you for your prompt replied.have a happy new year.David
denman  
#5 Posted : Friday, January 4, 2013 7:53:47 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]I had this breaker installed new with a baseboard heater on the same line,could this be a problem if they are running at the same time[/COLOR]
Yes it could you may be pulling too much current.

Below is an install sheet.
https://www.whirlpool.com/digitalassets/MLPDF/Installation%20Instructions%20-%208577187.pdf
Since I could not find anything for a TEDS74ePQ1, it is for a TEDS740PQ1.

It calls for a 30 amp dedicated line.
Lets say that the heater is 10 ohms this will then pull 24 amps, then on top of this you have the amperage required to run the motor so you do not have many amps left.
Turn the baseboard heater off and see what happens.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
smilley1  
#6 Posted : Saturday, January 5, 2013 12:22:23 PM(UTC)
smilley1

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
[COLOR="Blue"]I had this breaker installed new with a baseboard heater on the same line,could this be a problem if they are running at the same time[/COLOR]
Yes it could you may be pulling too much current.

Below is an install sheet.
https://www.whirlpool.com/digitalassets/MLPDF/Installation%20Instructions%20-%208577187.pdf
Since I could not find anything for a TEDS74ePQ1, it is for a TEDS740PQ1.

It calls for a 30 amp dedicated line.
Lets say that the heater is 10 ohms this will then pull 24 amps, then on top of this you have the amperage required to run the motor so you do not have many amps left.
Turn the baseboard heater off and see what happens.

Mr Denman I want to thank you for your assistance, and seing that you are a senior expert appliance technician give me comfort,but most of all I admired that you are a volunteer, Thank you and as soon as I go through the pointers you gave me I will let you know.David A
letsride2385  
#7 Posted : Monday, January 7, 2013 8:25:11 AM(UTC)
letsride2385

Lets hold hands and skip now
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply