Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
prometheus  
#1 Posted : Saturday, October 27, 2012 8:51:40 PM(UTC)
prometheus

Groups: Registered

Recently the dryer stopped heating up. Everything else works, just no heat. About 3 years ago I replaced the heating element, so I thought it was that. When I checked it, I noticed that two of the wires were fried. One that leads from the thermostat, and the other goes to the around the motor area. I cut off the dead ends and put new connectors (bought at home depot) on them, thinking that the heat had finally got to them. Ran about 5 loads with no problem. Went to double check to see how they held up, and the rubber on the wires was bubbled and melted. The new ends looked old. I went to an appliance store to get new wiring and to see if that was all it needed. They only had the wire that goes from the thermostat to the bottom of the heating element. The longer wire that runs to the motor area, they told me I could buy at an auto place, just make sure it is a high temperature wire. Here are my questions:

1. Is there a bigger problem?
2. Does it matter what connectors I use? Were the ones at home depot not good enough? The ones at the auto place look the same.
3. The auto place doesn't seem to have a high temperature wire. Is there some other place to get that?
4. I noticed that when I had put the nut back on the bolt for one of the wires, that it was not on there tight enough. Would that cause some issues?

Thanks!
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Sunday, October 28, 2012 3:43:12 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
I cannot find any info on the given model number, please check itr.
I tried AppliancePartsPros and the Maytag site.

[COLOR="Blue"]1. Is there a bigger problem?[/COLOR]
Could be but cannot say right now.
Check your heating coil to be sure it is not grounded.
Check the seals in the unit, check/clean the vent system, basically you want to be sure that the air flow is good.

[COLOR="Blue"]2. Does it matter what connectors I use? Were the ones at home depot not good enough? The ones at the auto place look the same.[/COLOR]
Yes they should be rated for high current. Also they should fit tightly to the part. If the parts connector is discolored clean it up with a bit of fine emery cloth or sand paper before attaching the connector to it.
Cannot say if the connectors you looked at are the same.

[COLOR="Blue"]3. The auto place doesn't seem to have a high temperature wire. Is there some other place to get that?[/COLOR]
You may be able to get it here
Dryer Wire, Harness, Power Cord - AppliancePartsPros.com

[COLOR="Blue"]4. I noticed that when I had put the nut back on the bolt for one of the wires, that it was not on there tight enough. Would that cause some issues?[/COLOR]
Not sure where you are connecting to, from your description I would have thought that the connections were all push on.
Yes a loose connection will cause problems.
What happens with a loose or poor connection is that the electricity sees it as a resistance. Then when current passes through it, it heats up / pits etc. This increases the resistance causing more heat and so on and so on till the connection fails.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
prometheus  
#3 Posted : Monday, November 5, 2012 4:34:27 PM(UTC)
prometheus

Groups: Registered

Thanks for the response. I replaced the shorter wire with the one I was able to get from the appliance store and the longer one, I cut the burnt end off and put a new connector on it. I made sure the connections were all done tight. It's ran a few days now and everything looks good. Maybe it was that loose connection.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply