Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
RolandD  
#1 Posted : Wednesday, September 26, 2012 7:22:04 AM(UTC)
RolandD

Groups: Registered

Hello,
I have a whirlpool electric dryer. There was no heat in the dryer. Everything else worked fine. I used my ohmmeter and found that the cycling thermostat was bad (there was an open circuit between the 2 terminals where the 2 smaller wires connect on the sides of the thermostat). I replaced the part, cleaned the dryer and vent and everything worked fine - for about a week. The dryer once again is producing no heat, and once again it is the cycling thermostat, showing no resistance between the 2 terminals where the smaller wires connect. What is causing this to keep happening?
Many thanks!
Roland
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Thursday, September 27, 2012 1:20:18 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for Whirlpool WED5200VQ1 29" ELECTRIC DRYER | AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the wiring diagram.

I am not sure why you do not have heat but I would recheck the cycling thermostat.
2 of the connectors (large wires) are the thermostat's contacts. Should be 0 ohms.
the other 2 (small wires) are an internal heater. Used during low heat to add heat to the thermostat, this results in the main heater cycling more often (lower heat). Although it does not give a value they are usually up around 5,000 to 10,000 ohms. Perhaps you used too low of a meter scale and that is why it read open.

I cannot explain why the unit ran OK for a week after you replaced the thermostat.
File Attachment(s):
WED5200.pdf (128kb) downloaded 7 time(s).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
ademing  
#3 Posted : Saturday, October 6, 2012 10:21:29 AM(UTC)
ademing

Groups: Registered

I am having the same problem. I replaced the cycling thermostat and it work for a few loads and now does not heat again. Both thermostats measure continuity across the outer leads and 6.8-7.1 (200K) across the inner leads. What else should I check?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply