Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

4 Pages123>»
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
jmrec100  
#1 Posted : Monday, July 30, 2012 8:48:59 PM(UTC)
jmrec100

Groups: Registered

My dryer just started acting up. I went thru the forum and did the suggested cleaning out of dust etc. I suspected a thermocouple type thing, the flame detector is failing? It will start the glow coil, then the burner lights up for about 20 seconds(?). Then shuts off. Acts like a flame detector is not detecting a flame and shuts off the gas? Is this correct? I'll look thru the parts section to see what 'it' looks like. How do you check and decide what failed?
Model: Kenmore 110.87873100
SN: MX1873559
Thank you for any help. Would like to fix it because it has been a simple and reliable dryer.
=================
I checked the resistance in the 2 coils as was discussed in a previous posts.
TWO Prong : 1.26K-Ohms
THREE Prong: Terminals 1-2 : 1.399K-Ohms Terminals 1-3: .573 K-Ohms Terminals 2-3: 1.97 K-Ohms

All seems within specs. Now what?
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Gene  
#2 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2012 2:38:24 PM(UTC)
Gene

Groups: Senior Expert, Administrators

Was thanked: 4 time(s) in 4 post(s)
Does the flame light up every time when the igniter glows? If it does then there is nothing wrong with the coils.

Disconnect the vent hose on the back of the dryer and run the dryer as usual. Did it run normal?

Remove the rear panel and the lint chute. Clean the lint chute. Put it back together and give it a try.

Gene.
jmrec100  
#3 Posted : Tuesday, July 31, 2012 10:01:36 PM(UTC)
jmrec100

It does light up. But when it goes out, it takes a while for the glow coil to come back on to light the gas. I'll remove the hose and try it. Just may have a bunch of lint in the hose. I vacuumed out a bunch at the bottom and under the dryer. I'll post shortly.
Thanks.
jmrec100  
#4 Posted : Wednesday, August 1, 2012 12:12:32 AM(UTC)
jmrec100

I pulled the duct and ran the dryer. I 'thought' it may be fixed. The glow coil lit and the flame started. "Seemed' longer so I turned it off without waitng very long. Then cleaned up the duct. There was a ball of lint in it. Cleaned up the stack as far as I could reach with the brush. No real lint in there. Then cleaned the dryer exit chute in the back with the same brush. Vacuumed and was all set. I trimmed the duct so have less duct work and still stay open and not collapsed. Hooked up the duct. Ran it . And the flame went out after about 80 secs by count.
So to eliminate a possible clog in the vent in the wall, I removed the duct. The same thing happened- the burner was going out very abruptly after 80 secs (by counting). So still have the problem. I notice the flame and it looked strong. There is a little overshoot on the left looking at the glow coild going into the heating duct. But can't really tell if its overshoot or just the way the flame burns. Looks consistent when it burns but something shuts it off very abruptly. Any suggestions where to look next?
================

I reread your post to clean out the lint chute by removing the back panel. I'll do that tomorrow night. But from the front and reaching down with a brush, it was clear.
I have a clamp amp meter. Should I be checking the individual leads coming off the coils?
jmrec100  
#5 Posted : Wednesday, August 1, 2012 1:52:53 PM(UTC)
jmrec100

If the chute is clear, what else do I check? Any help please?
Gene  
#6 Posted : Wednesday, August 1, 2012 2:28:30 PM(UTC)
Gene

Originally Posted by: jmrec100 Go to Quoted Post
If the chute is clear, what else do I check? Any help please?

What did you mean "If it's clear"? You have to remove it and clean.

Where the vent line goes? If it does go on top of the roof, then it definitely needs a good professional cleaning. If it does go on a side of the house, check the vent outlet.

Gene.
jmrec100  
#7 Posted : Wednesday, August 1, 2012 3:55:35 PM(UTC)
jmrec100

Originally Posted by: Gene Go to Quoted Post
What did you mean "If it's clear"? You have to remove it and clean.

Where the vent line goes? If it does go on top of the roof, then it definitely needs a good professional cleaning. If it does go on a side of the house, check the vent outlet.

Gene.

With the vent hose disconnected, the same thing happens so it is not the vent stack in the house. I'm referring to the dryer itself. I'll take the back panel off and then clean out the entire venting system IN the Dryer itself. But all signs show that the vent is clear. There is a strong out going air stream from the dryer with the vent hose disconnected. I'm thinking more like a thermocouple type problem or flame detector or some other related checking sensor. I'm looking for a parts lists for the dryer. I'll be looking at the wiring diagram and searching it. But sure open to suggestions what to check and how to check those sensor items.
Thanks
Gene  
#8 Posted : Wednesday, August 1, 2012 4:39:09 PM(UTC)
Gene

Lets do one thing at a time. Clean it and give it a try with the vent hose disconnected from the dryer. Put some wet clothes inside and run it for a full cycle.

Gene.
jmrec100  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, August 1, 2012 10:12:50 PM(UTC)
jmrec100

. . . . . . . . . . . .
jmrec100  
#10 Posted : Wednesday, August 1, 2012 10:14:26 PM(UTC)
jmrec100

I removed the back panel. Removed the vent duct hose that was just sitting not connected to the wall vent. Lifted the top cover. Cleaned out this vent chute with a vacuum and brush that goes inside. Cleaned out the blower fan. Found some debris sitting at the lower portion of the chute but of no consequence. This chute on the dryer was fairly clean. Wasn't really too dirty. Some lint but nothing to cause issues. Result: The burner does the same thing. Vent duct is NOT connected.
The entire cycle is:
1)Set heat. Set it to medium. Turn on dryer.
2) Glow coil starts.
3) Then the gas is ignited and see the flame.
4) Flame on for about 1 to 1-1/2 minutes ( Counted to 80). Turns off. Flame does not turn back on.

Turn off dryer. Repeat. Same thing happens. I'm looking for the thermostat?
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply