Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hendrj26  
#1 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2012 1:39:25 PM(UTC)
hendrj26

Groups: Registered

i have a maytag mde5500 dryer, i went out of town for the night and when i got back dryer was beeping and the led touchpad is non responsive. before i left the dryer worked fine had to de wrinkle some shirts and everything was working as it should. I checked the door switch, the hi limit therm as suggested in another post, and they tested good, as well as testing for resist and cont on the touch pad j7 connnector and the analog meter did not move while pressing or not pressing start switch. there a few lights on on the touchpad but none of them are responsive when pushed and the time remaining display is good just displaying 42 as it would if it were to start with the settings that are selected. also cannot get it to go into service mode to do the membrane test. and one last thing if i press the signal + and - buttons at same time i am able to use the other buttons on pad(heat +-, time+-, damp dry more dry, etc.) but unit will not start. Just wanting to be a little more confident the problem is the touch pad and not control board, the control board looks fine no burns or black areas.

thanks,

jonathan
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Wednesday, July 11, 2012 1:49:17 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]the analog meter did not move while pressing or not pressing start switch.[/COLOR]
As long as you did the above correctly then the keypad is toast.
If other keys responded like they should have then you can be fairly confident that you did the test correctly.

The usual way to troubleshoot is the way you did it. Check the keypad and if it checks out OK replace the control board. This is still a bit of a crap shoot but your odds are better.

In your case the keypad fails so I would replace that.

Since you have done the troubleshooting you may want to order from AppliancePartsPros as they will let you return the keypad if it does not solve your problem. See their return policy.

Please do not order both control board and keypad and then just return the one that does not fix it. If many people did this then the company would probably have to change the return policy to the same as most other part supply houses (you buy it you own it and no returns).
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
hendrj26  
#3 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2012 12:06:41 PM(UTC)
hendrj26

thank you for your input. the dryer actually started working again, but has now stopped. same issue as before. i would assume that the keypad is on its way out. any suggestions.
hendrj26  
#4 Posted : Saturday, July 21, 2012 12:09:35 PM(UTC)
hendrj26

thankyou for the inout the dryer started working again, but now has stopped again. same issue as before. is this a sign that the tuch pad is on its way out?
Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
the analog meter did not move while pressing or not pressing start switch.
As long as you did the above correctly then the keypad is toast.
If other keys responded like they should have then you can be fairly confident that you did the test correctly.

The usual way to troubleshoot is the way you did it. Check the keypad and if it checks out OK replace the control board. This is still a bit of a crap shoot but your odds are better.

In your case the keypad fails so I would replace that.

Since you have done the troubleshooting you may want to order from AppliancePartsPros as they will let you return the keypad if it does not solve your problem. See their return policy.

Please do not order both control board and keypad and then just return the one that does not fix it. If many people did this then the company would probably have to change the return policy to the same as most other part supply houses (you buy it you own it and no returns).
denman  
#5 Posted : Sunday, July 22, 2012 2:47:21 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
[COLOR="Blue"]is this a sign that the tuch pad is on its way out?[/COLOR]
Cannot say if it points to the keypad or the control board.
Either part can go intermittent.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply