Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
hamrepairman  
#1 Posted : Friday, July 6, 2012 6:28:38 PM(UTC)
hamrepairman

Groups: Registered

Getting code "FE" on the dryer and contacted Maytag about the code. They recommended a service company in my area to come out and service the dryer to diagnose the problem. I contacted the service company and paid the service technician to look at the dryer for about 15 minutes then call Maytag to try and figure out the problem because he didn't know what was wrong with the dryer. The technician finally said I needed a new control panel (Part # 35001227). I would have had the service company/technician install the new control panel but they had a huge mark-up on the part and wanted to charge $155 for labor for something that took me less than 15-minutes to complete. So, after installing the new control board (part number referenced above), I am still getting Code "FE" and the dryer shutting down. I was told by Maytag that this is a "frequency error" and that it had to do with the power supply. I have checked the voltage, breaker and plug/connector and everything is the same as it was when the dryer was installed six years ago.

Any help would be appreciated.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

denman  
#2 Posted : Saturday, July 7, 2012 3:21:20 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for Maytag MDE9700AYW DRYER- ELE | AppliancePartsPros.com

I am not sure why they would replace the control panel which as far as I know is just a display board.
I would have thought that the frequency sensing circuit would have been on the control board (Item 3 in Section 2).

I doubt that this is a real error as the 60 hertz is from your power company and you would probably see problems with other electronic devices in the house.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Dennis J C  
#3 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2012 10:41:47 AM(UTC)
Dennis J C

We have the same dryer with the same code "FE" this week. I too have tested the circuit and found no other problems. The heat is working as is the drum. It only runs a few seconds until it faults out. In the system check mode I ran the motor several minutes with no issues. Once I exit the service mode it only takes a few seconds to fault out. Please keep me informed as to what you find. Thanks.
hamrepairman  
#4 Posted : Sunday, July 8, 2012 12:37:50 PM(UTC)
hamrepairman

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for Maytag MDE9700AYW DRYER- ELE | AppliancePartsPros.com

I am not sure why they would replace the control panel which as far as I know is just a display board.
I would have thought that the frequency sensing circuit would have been on the control board (Item 3 in Section 2).

I doubt that this is a real error as the 60 hertz is from your power company and you would probably see problems with other electronic devices in the house.

denman...
I completely agree with your assessment. The control panel looks like it only displays what you would like the unit to perform and display settings and digital feedback. The control panel does not look like the brains of the unit. It looks like the circuit board/control board would be the brains of the unit therefore sensing the issue, or having a "problem" with the system and causing the unit to shut down.

I actually believe that the service technician, who had to call Maytag technical support to diagnose the problem, misunderstood what he was told and wrote-up the bid to repair the unit as needing a control panel, when actually it needs a control board/circuit board (section 2, item 3 as you described). Please confirm or rebuke if you don't mind. Should I order a control board and try and that to see if it works?
denman  
#5 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2012 1:25:52 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]Should I order a control board and try and that to see if it works?[/COLOR]

Yes it would be at the top of my list.
I would probably check the voltage at the wall plug first but the service tech may have already done this.
hamrepairman  
#6 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2012 5:02:17 AM(UTC)
hamrepairman

The technician did say he checked the power and the polarity when he made his first recommendation.

I checked the power at the terminal block on the back of the unit and it was 120V on one line and 120V on the other, so I think that is OK.
denman  
#7 Posted : Monday, July 9, 2012 5:21:38 AM(UTC)
denman

Sounds good to me.
Dennis J C  
#8 Posted : Tuesday, July 10, 2012 6:05:32 PM(UTC)
Dennis J C

Replaced PCB board pn# 35001153. $205.03 + tax in stock @ local suplier. Dryer is working. The offending area was easy to spot. Maybe I'll do a science project and try to fix this for future use as it seems to be an issue with these dryers?...:rolleyes:
File Attachment(s):
100_2654.jpg (340kb) downloaded 38 time(s).
chevell  
#9 Posted : Wednesday, July 19, 2017 10:03:09 AM(UTC)
chevell

Anyone have a link? Just ordered a new board after ours failed during a lightning storm. ready to prep the dryer and just wondering where to start.

Thanks!
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply