Discuss

Maytag SE1000 Dryer will not heat

in

Dryer Repair

. "

Clothes were not being dried completely and it got progressively worse until it stop drying the clothes. Flipped off the

..."

Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras
Appliance Repair Forum > Appliance Repair Help > Dryer Repair » Maytag SE1000 Dryer will not heat

Post New Thread  Reply By reading any content on this site you agree to AppliancePartsPros.com, Inc. disclaimer and Terms of Use.

LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
Old 07-03-2012, 03:01 PM

danlajoie is on a distinguished road
Default Maytag SE1000 Dryer will not heat
Brand: Maytag   Age: 5 - 10 years   

Appliance Parts from AppliancePartPros.com

Clothes were not being dried completely and it got progressively worse until it stop drying the clothes.
Flipped off the breaker, removed the front panel, checked the vent, and cleared all lent from the dryer.
Turned the breaker back on and ran the dryer.
The Coils started to heat up and ran for 30 seconds to a minute then the relay sparked and the coils turned off.

Turned the breaker off again and check all the wire connections. The bottom right wire on the relay was loose. Pushed it back in place and turned the breakers on again. No change.

What is going on here? Is there a problem with the heating coil so the relay is tripping or is the relay bad? Or is there something else?

How can I trouleshoot and diagnose the problem?

I saw another post were they recommended to check the coil side of the relay is at 490. Without a diagram I am not sure if they are referring to the heating coil or if there is a coil in the relay itself. In addition, what is the spec for the relay is there a range that is acceptable or must it be at 490? Any help would be appreciated.

See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Old 07-03-2012, 05:16 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Gene has a brilliant futureGene has a brilliant future

Very likely the problem is a restricted air flow through the vent.

Where does the dryer vent go? Does it go on top of the roof? If it does, it has to be cleaned professionally, by a people with a special equipment to do it right.

Visually inspect the heating relay for a burned contacts inside. If there are any, replace the relay.

Make sure the blower wheel is not damaged and is not slipping around the motor shaft.

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 07-03-2012, 07:02 PM

Default Maytag SE1000

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene View Post
Very likely the problem is a restricted air flow through the vent.

Where does the dryer vent go? Does it go on top of the roof? If it does, it has to be cleaned professionally, by a people with a special equipment to do it right.

Visually inspect the heating relay for a burned contacts inside. If there are any, replace the relay.

Make sure the blower wheel is not damaged and is not slipping around the motor shaft.

Gene.
Thanks Gene,

Blockage is the first thing I checked. Prior to posting on the site I removed the front pannel of the dryer, removed the blower wheel housing to access the vent to the back of the dryer, removed the vent tube from the ceiling and removed the vent cap from the roof. I have no attic the roof is the ceiling and there is a two foot tube that runs though the ceiling. There is not much for a profrssional to clean. There was a little lent but not much. Cleaned and replaced everything. No change. The heating element comes on then the relay trips and shuts the element off. The Dryer continues to turn.

The blower wheel works as designed

I will check the relay. Do I need to check the high limit thermostate?

So what is next? How do I troubleshoot for the problem?

Follow up: I left the breaker off all night and turned it on in the morning. Ran the dryer again and it dryed through the cycle. Can't explain it other than maybe one of the components in the circut is starting to fail. Any suggestions.

Have a happy 4th.

Thanks for you help!

Last edited by danlajoie : 07-04-2012 at 11:55 AM.
Old 07-05-2012, 04:11 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

You are welcome.

It is very hard to diagnose any intermittent problem. I would just use the dryer under control and see how it will work later.

The out of temperature range high limit thermostat can be a problem but it's almost impossible to test it in such situation. Much easier just to replace it.

- The high limit thermostat Part number: 303396

Part number: 303396

Gene.

Order Appliance Parts with 365-Day Hassle Free Return Policy - AppliancePartsPros.com
Old 07-09-2012, 11:55 AM

Default It's dead Jim

It only worked that one load. Now it is performing as previously described. I have ordered a relay and will replace that first. Is there a continuity check I can perform?
Old 07-09-2012, 06:47 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Quote:
Originally Posted by danlajoie View Post
...Is there a continuity check I can perform?...
I don't think so. Replace the relay and post the result.

Gene.

Old 07-10-2012, 02:05 PM

Default Is there a special tool for removing the relay?

Ok R&R the relay and ran the dryer without any clothes. Same thing happen the coils heated up and then the relay tripped and turned it off. What next?

Last edited by danlajoie : 07-10-2012 at 07:19 PM.
Old 07-10-2012, 05:20 PM
Senior Expert
APP Volunteer

Can you post a pictures of the new and old parts?

Gene.

Old 07-10-2012, 09:36 PM

Default old and new relay pictures

Both the old and new relay have the same part number stamped on top. The new relay pictures were taken on the desk. The old relay picture were taken while it was installed in the dryer.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Relay front.jpg (33.1 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg relay left.jpg (35.8 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg relay top.jpg (34.2 KB, 18 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0563.jpg (60.2 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0564.jpg (46.5 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_0565.jpg (46.7 KB, 15 views)
Old 07-10-2012, 09:37 PM

Default old and new relay pictures

Both the old and new relays have the same part number stamped on top. The new relay pictures were taken on the desk. The old relay picture were taken while it was installed in the dryer.

Update:

Replaced the high limit thermostat and ran the dryer with a load of wet clothes. The Cycle completed and the clothes were dry. However, before I conclude it is fixed, I will run it several more times. If it still shuts off then should replace the heat sensor inside the dryer?

Last edited by danlajoie : 07-17-2012 at 12:33 PM.
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.