Customer Support 7 days a week

Welcome Guest! To enable all features please Login or Register.

Notification

Icon
Error

2 Pages12>
New Topic Post Reply
Options
Go to last post Go to first unread
Qapla  
#1 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2012 3:34:10 PM(UTC)
Qapla

Groups: Registered

We have a Whirlpool Duet (GEW9250PL0) Electric Dryer

Today the control locked light was on. I went online to see what to do. I found that I was to hold the End Cycle button for 3-15 seconds. I tried this several times to no avail - then, when I tried again a bit later - It worked! The light went off.:)

I tried to set the dryer now that the controls were no longer locked - nothing - button unresponsive.:( My daughters tried it also - nothing. We let it sit. A short while later my one daughter said it was working ... she had it running:) - but it was empty and my wet/damp clothes were still hanging all over the house. She hit Pause/Cancel to stop the dryer so I could put my clothes in ... nothing happened, it just kept running.:( So, she open the door and it stopped - but, before we grabbed all the clothes, we tried shutting the door and telling it to continue ... nothing :confused:

We tried holding the Stop and the Continue buttons ... no help.

I then turned off the breaker ... waited a bit and turned it back on .... Now it is flashing "PF" and all the buttons are unresponsive.

Any help would be appreciated as there are 5 of us that need that dryer.
Sponsor
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.

powered by AppliancePartsPros.com

Qapla  
#2 Posted : Thursday, June 14, 2012 6:04:57 PM(UTC)
Qapla

Quick follow-up ...

After some time, perhaps an hour, I tried the dryer again and it worked. When I pressed the pink button (Pause/Cancel) the display cleared and I was able to set a cycle. I put in my damp clothes and hit start. It ran and dried the clothes.:)

When I checked the green Cycle Complete light was on and when I opened the door to get the clothes out it turned off - like it should.

Now ... will it work again? That is the big question.:eek:

Hope this helps someone tell me what to check or look for.
denman  
#3 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2012 2:24:25 AM(UTC)
denman

Groups: Senior Expert

Was thanked: 11 time(s) in 11 post(s)
It may be OK now.
There is really nothing you can check as it is working OK.

The unit has a microprocessor and as with any such device sometimes they get confused and disconnecting power resets everything which by the sound of it is what has happened.
Often the problem does not reoccur.
THIS FORUM IS DEAD!!!!!!!
Qapla  
#4 Posted : Saturday, June 16, 2012 3:07:58 PM(UTC)
Qapla

Today was the first time we tried to use the dryer since the other day. My wife out her clothes in and pressed the buttons ... NOTHING!

I tried several more times ... Nada. I did find that if I held the "Control On" button for several seconds (8-10), the display would light up with time for the cycle. If you rotate the cycle knob, it will go through the various cycle times just fine. However, when you push the start button - nothing. None of the other buttons will work either.

I turned the breaker of for a minute or so and back on ... no change.

I got on the computer to look at the manual I d/l and see how to access the control modules to see what tests could be done. I removed the to of the dryer and looked at how to get to the electronics ... but before going any further I decided to try it one more time.

I turned the breaker back on (it had been off for about 30 minutes) and presses the Control On button. The display lit up right away. I hit the Start button and the dryer turned right on and is currently drying my wife's clothes.

There has to be something not right here.

Any additional guesses?

denman  
#5 Posted : Sunday, June 17, 2012 1:05:15 AM(UTC)
denman

Here are your parts
Replacement parts for Whirlpool GEW9250PL0 ELECTRIC DRYER | AppliancePartsPros.com

See the attachment for the tech sheet.

It sounds like the control board is toast.
I would try the different diagnostics and test related to it but odds are it is the board itself since you do not get an error and powering off resets it.
File Attachment(s):
GEW9250.pdf (343kb) downloaded 13 time(s).
Qapla  
#6 Posted : Thursday, June 28, 2012 4:35:41 PM(UTC)
Qapla

Originally Posted by: denman Go to Quoted Post
Here are your parts
Replacement parts for Whirlpool GEW9250PL0 ELECTRIC DRYER | AppliancePartsPros.com
... It sounds like the control board is toast...

Since I last posted the dryer has been working somewhat normally - until now.

We get nothing! Nothing will turn on at all. No lights, beeps or any response at all, even if you hold a button down for an extended period of time. I checked and the unit is getting power at the cord and into the dryer.

You said it sounds like the control board and gave a link for parts. Well, under "Cabinet" there is a Control Board (Part # 57 - AP3775548). Then, under "Top and Console" there are three different parts called controllers:
"Cntrl-Elec" (Part # 19 - AP3775978) another "Cntrl-Elec" (Part # 19A - AP3777740) and a "User Interface" (Part # 19B - AP3775714)

Each of these parts are a bit expensive at $200 each.
The last three all look the same.
We cannot afford to spend money on a part that is not the right one.
What part do I need?
denman  
#7 Posted : Friday, June 29, 2012 2:40:41 AM(UTC)
denman

[COLOR="Blue"]Well, under "Cabinet" there is a Control Board (Part # 57 - AP3775548). [/COLOR]
This is the actual control board.
[COLOR="Blue"]
Then, under "Top and Console" there are three different parts called controllers:
"Cntrl-Elec" (Part # 19 - AP3775978) another "Cntrl-Elec" (Part # 19A - AP3777740) and a "User Interface" (Part # 19B - AP3775714)[/COLOR]
This is the keypad/display. There are number of them because of color and/or the series of the unit, so you should also have the serial number when ordering a part.

First I would check that it is getting power at the terminal strip at the back of the unit.
It is the L1 to Neutral that is the side of the line that powers the control board. You could also check for 120 volts from P1-5 to P1-3 when the door switch is closed.
[COLOR="Red"]Be very careful.[/COLOR]

You may want to try unplugging the unit and then the connections at the control board. Check the connectors for any signs of a bad crimp or a pin backing out. Also if the pins look dirty I would clean them using isopropyl alcohol or electronics contact c leaner. Just be sure that all the solvent has evaporated before reconnecting.

If you have power at the control board then that is the part I would replace as it is the most likely cause.
Since you have done some troubleshooting you may want to consider ordering from AppliancePartsPros. They are one of the few places that will let you return an electrical part if it does not fix the problem. See their return policy.

Please do not order both and then return the one that does not work.
If many folks did this then they would probably have to change this police and that would be a shame.

I am going to the cottage for a few days so will not be available.
When the forum is busy if other regular posters see that the post is being answered they do not have the time to check the post. So If you require help when I am gone you may want to start a new post with a blurb about what you have done so far and a link to your original post.
Qapla  
#8 Posted : Thursday, July 5, 2012 6:19:34 PM(UTC)
Qapla

Okay, we ordered the control board and it came today. We put it in and turned the breaker on and it did not seem to work.

After some time, with the dryer breaker turned back off we turned the breaker on and all seemed fine. The dryer once again worked as it should.

Now, nothing ... again!

What next???????
denman  
#9 Posted : Friday, July 6, 2012 2:34:15 AM(UTC)
denman

Did you check the power at the control board before replacing it?
Also did you check the connections?
Qapla  
#10 Posted : Friday, July 6, 2012 3:01:01 AM(UTC)
Qapla

Yes, all checks were done before we ordered the new board and again after replacing the board. We even pulled all the connections and re-connected them to be sure they were all making contact.

The 120 volts are where they are supposed to be at the back of the machine and on the board where L1 and the door switch is.

What else could be wrong?

We are on limited budget here and cannot afford to just keep ordering parts that do not help or fix the problem.
Quick Reply Show Quick Reply