|Register | FAQ's | New Posts | Today's Posts | Extras|
Whirlpool dryer - drum won't turn
Model Number: LGC6848AQ1 Brand: Whirlpool Age: More than 10 years
Drum won't turn anymore. But feels like it is some kind of an electrical problem. On an automatic moisture drying setting, before it would quite, it would make a sound as if like a loose contact/faulty sensor - buzzer would start to signal and then quieten down for a minute or two before finally buzzing to stop.
With the door in the closed position, when I turn the timer dial, I start hearing the timer ticking sound. If I press the start button, if feels as if some action took place with a click but nothing starts working. If I press the start switch the 2nd time, no click sound - as if the start was already active. If I open the door, the timer ticking stops. Close the door, it starts again.
I have checked the following things:
- Checked dryer thermal fuse for continuity. Since I had a spare, replaced it - just in case.
- Checked exhaust duct for being blocked. Was fine.
- Checked High limit termostat for continuity
- Check cycling thermostat for continuity
- Checked door switch for continuity
- Checked start button for continuity - it has 3 terminals and I could see that 2 of them would be connected to form the circuit when the button was pushed. And it did show continuity when pressed.
- Drum belt is intact - I opened the top cover to visually inspect it. I can also rotate drum by hand.
- One site mentioned checking the resistance across the 2 terminals of the timer motor - I forget the resistance # but the number generally matched the website.
- Timer has 6 terminals. Across 2 of the leads, as I rotated the timer knob, the continuity changed from no-continuity to being continuous in one of the cycles. I left it that setting and tried to push start button, drum still didn't rotate.
If anybody can suggest few other things to test before I jettison the unit, it would be very much appreciated.
Ads By Google
See inside of your appliance - diagrams and part photos for virtually every model.
powered by AppliancePartsPros.com
|Thread Tools||Search this Thread|
|Thread||Thread Starter||Forum||Replies||Last Post|
|Whirlpool Duet GEW9250PWO Dryer Timer Counts Dwon but Drum Doesn't Turn||sjnnn8||Dryer Repair||1||05-29-2012 07:13 PM|
|Kenmore HE3/ Whirlpool Duet drum will not turn||kiwimack||Dryer Repair||0||09-26-2011 08:41 AM|
|dryer drum won't firstname.lastname@example.org||Dryer Repair||1||08-30-2011 03:27 PM|
|Whirlpool Dryer drum will not turn||baerfamily||Dryer Repair||1||08-20-2008 08:54 PM|
|Dryer Drum Does Not Turn||Pike||Dryer Repair||1||12-17-2007 08:18 PM|